Okay, Somebody Tell Me What Went Wrong! (Long)

Decorating By BakerzJoy Updated 22 Jun 2008 , 6:26pm by BakerzJoy

BakerzJoy Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 5:10am
post #1 of 5

I had this Wedding cake due today. I worked all week to create perfection and it all came down to yesterday. I bought this Satin Ice fondant in ivory and I was told it had a great reputation. Well, I kneaded the fondant real well and rolled it out and it was smooth and looking good. Then....I layed it on each cake tier and within 5 seconds it was drying and cracking!! WHAT THE HECK?? I was in tears last night and I was up all night trying to cover it. It was like spidering down the sides and bottoms of each tier, especially on the bottom tier. I ended up tinting some royal icing to match the color of the fondant and smeared it over the cracks and then put luster dust on it. It sorta coverd it but it wasn't flawless like I wanted.
I delivered the cake today and for the first time, I was not as proud. I kept thinking people were going to see the fondant and say "who the heck did this cake, a four year old?" Although everyone said they loved it, but were they REALLY looking??
Anyway, my mother in law says I probably got a bad batch of fondant, but how do you tell? It looked fine all the way up to placing it on the cake...and then caput!!
Any advice, because right now I don't know if I want to take on another wedding cake and take the chance of ruining someone's big day with my fondant mishap?
This was my second Wedding cake ever!
Also, while were on the subject, how come you can see the layers seeping through the fondant? I cut and layered each cake and made sure it was even and it still looked ackward.
Anyway, I tryed to post the picture on here but it was too big, you can see it under my photos. It's the three tier ivory oval wedding cake with bow. The mountain dew can cake was the grooms cake!
Thanks for anyone's help who can relieve me, better yet teach me!

4 replies
JoAnnB Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 6:45am
post #2 of 5

It looks like you did an excellent recovery job.

Do you roll your fondant on cornstarch? If so, that is probably why the fondant dried out.

I roll mine on a plastic mat, with a bit of shortning. I use the mat to transfer the fondant. No cornstarch or additional sugar is required.

Shola Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 7:53am
post #3 of 5

Well it looks fantastic! I couldn't see a single flaw, great job! thumbs_up.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 8:14am
post #4 of 5

I have black and red Satin Ice fondant and I've yet to have a problem with them. Sorry you did.

I did look at the photo and I'll be darned if I can see any cracks. You must be a magician because you made them disappear.

As for seeing the layers I can only suggest a few things: did you dam with buttercream? Was it flush with the cake? How thinly did you roll the fondant - maybe too thinly? Did you crumb coat? How thick was the layer of BC beneath the fondant or did you use something else (like jam or piping gel)? Depending on your answers, these might be reasons why.

BakerzJoy Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks you guys for all your great comments. I keep getting people saying the same things you all are saying. I am starting to feel looney for ever thinking it was horrible. I do wish I would have gotten a couple of up close pics to show the cracks.

As far as the layers showing. I did put a dam in between the layers and after I filled it with BC I let it sit in the fridge to settle for about an hour. After the hour it came out to the ends and I smoothed it. I also did crumb coat with BC and it was very thin. I made the mistake one time of doing it too thick and it oozed out once the fondant was laid.
I also rolled the fondant perfectly, not too thin, not too thick.
I have granite counter tops and that's where I roll my fondant. I always use a little powdered sugar and I rub my hands with shortening.
This was definatly my first disaster with fondant and now I am desiring a class on just fondant, anyone know where they would offer these classes at? It wouldn't hurt to know a little more about that stuff!

Quote by @%username% on %date%