When To Freeze Or Not To Freeze.

Decorating By sariasenith Updated 22 Jun 2008 , 10:09am by sariasenith

sariasenith Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 3:42am
post #1 of 7

Newbie here... I've read that freezing a cake will make it more moist and yummy. So Do I ONLY freeze before any decorating happens? Must I wrap my cake very well to protect it in the freezer? Or can I take a cake covered in fondant icing and pop it in the freezer and it will be beautiful when I thaw it?

Thanks for the hlep! icon_biggrin.gif
Sari

6 replies
diane Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 3:48am
post #2 of 7

you don't have to freeze it to make it moist.
if you do...wrap in plastic wrap and then foil and it should be fine.
i wouldn't freeze a fondant covered cake though. icon_wink.gif

sariasenith Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 7:51am
post #3 of 7

So should I do a crumb coat BEFORE I freeze or AFTER?

jen9936 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 8:39am
post #4 of 7

After baking, I let my cakes sit in the pan for 10-15 minutes til they're cool enough to level without falling apart. Then I trim and level them and stick them in the freezer while still warm. After completely frozen, I take them and wrap well to store in freezer til ready to use. I like to take out and let thaw with the wrapping on, then crumb coat and frost.
HTH! icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 8:43am
post #5 of 7

I've only ever frozen my cakes plain - without any crumb coating. I double wrap them in plastic after they've cooled. There are many that wrap in plastic and freeze while the cakes are still hot or warm, but there is the potential for health issues when doing that, so I don't do it.

jen9936 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 8:52am
post #6 of 7

I too have read that wrapping while warm and then freezing could cause bacteria or other health issues. I place my layers on a sheet of foil and lay them directly on the rack in the freezer while warm. I don't wrap until completely frozen. Also I have an upright freezer that I use only for cake so that there is not an issue of the heat from the cake thawing any other food.

sariasenith Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 10:09am
post #7 of 7

Thanks ladies! Very helpful!!

xoxo

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%