Feedback Please: Rate Skill Level From 1 - 10...

Decorating By CharmingConfections Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 4:10am by CharmingConfections

CharmingConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharmingConfections Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:47am
post #1 of 23

Where do you think my skill level is on a 1 - 10 scale?
(Zebra cake, pink gift box cake are most recent).
I've been decorating for less then a year, and haven't ever taken a class... I'm wondering if I should still go and take the Michael's wilton classes or just keep continuing to teach myself... Advice on how I can improve??
Thank You!!!

22 replies
cookinmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookinmamma Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:57am
post #2 of 23

I'm new to this too, so I can't even begin to rate you, but your cakes are amazing! I do alot of buttercream myself and definitely need improvement, but I enjoy it and get many compliments from those for whom I make the cakes. I guess that is all that matters.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 1:00am
post #3 of 23

You do wonderful. You dont need lessons you can teach the classes. icon_biggrin.gif How do you do those zebra stripes are they free hand or do you have a pattern. Great job

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 1:07am
post #4 of 23

CharmingConfections
I have never taken a class either but in my area their are some things I want to learn to do but I was told in order for me to be able to take the advance classes I have to prove that I've had the basic class.

Molly2 icon_sad.gif

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 1:16am
post #5 of 23

I have never taken a class either and I would love it - if only I had the time! I do know one thing that I can NOT do and why I want to take the first level of Wilton is making a rose! No matter how many videos I watch, or instructions I read - I just can't do it! There are also other flowers that I want to learn.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 1:28am
post #6 of 23

For natural talent, I give you a "10"!!!! For decorating less than a year, you are doing awesome. Hard to compare with the others on here on a scale of ability really. Obviously you can improve but so can all of us so there isn't really a way to put a number on it.

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 1:50am
post #7 of 23

Your work is beautiful! I'm a rookie, so I can't rate you either, but I wanted to comment on the Wilton Classes. I'm just finishing up Course 3. From the looks of your cakes, I wouldn't be surprised if you were pretty bored with the classes. They are pretty basic. However, if you want to build your flower repertoire, Wilton classes would be great for that. We learned lots and lots of flowers in BC, Royal Icing and Fondant.
HTH!

Becca

CharmingConfections Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 2:30pm
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karema

You do wonderful. You dont need lessons you can teach the classes. icon_biggrin.gif How do you do those zebra stripes are they free hand or do you have a pattern. Great job

Thank you, the Zebra stripes are completely freehand!

CharmingConfections Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 2:40pm
post #9 of 23

I guess my scale would be 1 being "my 2 year old kid coulda done that" icon_smile.gif and 10 being oh... Sugarshack! (for example). I don't really ever expect to be a 10, but sometimes you wonder to your self while going through photos on here... do I have the right to even offer these cakes for money!?
Actually, I was just thinking that I want to start learning about flowers more. Next month the Michael's in my area is offering the classes at half price, so I am thinking maybe I will sign up.
I guess I will have to bring photos to "prove" i don't need the first basics classes...?
It probably wouldn't hurt me at all to take the buttercream basic courses though, I am horrible at buttercream and so I am afraid of it and end up doing all fondant! My friend thinks I am crazy and that buttercream is the easier of the two, but I think hiding under the fondant is right where it belongs icon_smile.gif

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 2:52pm
post #10 of 23

If you struggle with bc, then by all means, take the classes! In course 1, you learn the wilton rose and a couple types of borders and how to cover a cake in bc. Oh, and next month, all wilton classes and Michaels are 50% off AND an extra $10 off that, which puts them at $7.50 here. Go for it! It can't hurt.

Becca

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 3:04pm
post #11 of 23

CakesbyBecca beat me to my answer in her first post. If there is something specific you want to learn, like the flowers, then go for it. I took all the classes and I think you're still above my skill level. So, PP was right saying you could be bored. See if you can get the course books so you can check out the projects and skills taught in each class so you can see what you need help with the most. If the teacher is decent, she'll let you just jump courses if you say you're a decorator. The teachers I've had would never make you prove it! One even let my little sis take Fndant and Gumpaste with me knowing she'd taken no other courses.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 4:43pm
post #12 of 23

I was given some advice one time by a lady who uses to decorate cake and let me tell you she did an awesome job. One day I was admiring her and said how I wished I could be as good as she. She said âIf itâs perfect then it's not original because in everybodyâs own eyes in everything that you do yourself nothing will ever be good enough stop and look around theirs a flaw in everythingâ. Well I took that advice and ran with it my cakes may not be as good as a lot of people on this site but let me tell you I enjoy every minuet of what I do and if I worried all the time about whatâs not good about them it wouldnât be fun anymore I saw your pictures your cake are beautiful keep up the good work.

Molly2

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 4:57pm
post #13 of 23

I would say you do fantastic. Some details that you can work specially on your bow is the fondant or the gumpaste is a little bit on the thick side and you can see the ripples of the paper where you dried the bow.
Is not major details, but for someone trying to get to a better place is something you can watch.
Keep the goodwork!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 4:59pm
post #14 of 23

I would take the classes anyway. You get a certificate at the end of each session. I framed and hung mine, and they will proudly hang on the wall of my shop one day.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 5:15pm
post #15 of 23

Well, my first instinct is to recommend the classes, but I've taken two classes so far, one was a Michael's class, one was at a cake supplies store. Neither taught me more than a few things. That being said, I am glad I learned those few things, but I probably could've learned them on my own.

As far as your talent, you're really talented and your cakes show that you have attention to detail, which is good. I think there's always room to learn more, though! Just keep doing what you're doing and try to learn a new skill as often as you can!

Amber

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 5:46pm
post #16 of 23

I've taken the wilton classes, and not once has anyone asked for "proof" that I took the classes before it. It was just the cashier signing me up. Yes, the wilton classes are basic, but if you want to practice buttercream and flowers, they are not a bad place to start.

tonedna Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 5:51pm
post #17 of 23

I dont think you need courses for proof..Is more to learn new things...Even the most basics skills have techniques. I been doing this for a long time and I havent taken anyhthing other than Wilton Courses and one small class from Nicholas Lodge.. I already knew what he taught..but here and there every teacher uses a different technique that you can use..and thats the beauty in it!
Me...I am going to ICES for the first time..I am
looking for knowledge..Anything I'll learn will only help me get better!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

CharmingConfections Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 6:33pm
post #18 of 23

I know, my bows are too thick! I have trouble working with the fondant really thin - I need to work on that for sure. I have decided to sign up for the WIlton gumpaste & fondant course to start... thanks for all the advice! I hope the class will help give me a boost and I'll try to remember that no one is perfect! icon_wink.gif

lynndy-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynndy-lou Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 7:13pm
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharmingConfections

I guess my scale would be 1 being "my 2 year old kid coulda done that" icon_smile.gif and 10 being oh... Sugarshack! (for example). I don't really ever expect to be a 10, but sometimes you wonder to your self while going through photos on here... do I have the right to even offer these cakes for money!?
Actually, I was just thinking that I want to start learning about flowers more. Next month the Michael's in my area is offering the classes at half price, so I am thinking maybe I will sign up.
I guess I will have to bring photos to "prove" i don't need the first basics classes...?
It probably wouldn't hurt me at all to take the buttercream basic courses though, I am horrible at buttercream and so I am afraid of it and end up doing all fondant! My friend thinks I am crazy and that buttercream is the easier of the two, but I think hiding under the fondant is right where it belongs icon_smile.gif

Your cakes are excellent.Easy 9.
I was the same as you until I took a picture of my first cake (the apple in my pics) to my local cake shop to ask about classes and the owner said I couldnt because my first cake proved I didn't need to.
I learn each skill as I need it mainly from books and some videos on you tube.

tonedna Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 7:24pm
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharmingConfections

I know, my bows are too thick! I have trouble working with the fondant really thin - I need to work on that for sure. I have decided to sign up for the WIlton gumpaste & fondant course to start... thanks for all the advice! I hope the class will help give me a boost and I'll try to remember that no one is perfect! icon_wink.gif

Use gumpaste instead of fondant or 50/50 combinations. The other thing is using tylose on the fondant to give it more elasticity and strenght so is easier to work!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 7:44pm
post #21 of 23

I think your cakes are wonderful. Remember that everyone has their unique "style".

I think it depends on your instructor. I have taken the Wilton Classes and had an awsome instructor for I-III. My fondant class instructor was not so great.

I highly recommend Nicholas Lodge's DVD for learning fondant techniques. The one I have is Gumpaste roses and wedding techniques. In this DVD he also shows you how to do swags, bows, butterflies, and patchwork borders. I also have his Gumpaste Hydrangea DVD. He is an awsome instructor. I think you would benefit more from these DVD's than the fondant Wilton class.

mz_jennifer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mz_jennifer Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:26am
post #22 of 23

You are absolutely incredible at this. This is my first time on the site and I am in complete awe.

icon_eek.gif

CharmingConfections Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 4:10am
post #23 of 23

Great tips! I am going to start with gumpaste.. i've haven't done anything with it before. The videos sound great, I am going to google it.
Thanks for all the positive feedback! You don't know how much it means! I love this website, everyone is so helpful and kind.
Thank You!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%