I Delivered My First Wedding Cake!!

Decorating By mom2spunkynbug Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 7:05pm by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:45am
post #1 of 25

I delivered my first real wedding cake today! I have never made so much cake, and this was for a small wedding!!

I made it all from scratch - a 6"-9"-12" white cake with strawberry filling, vanilla bc with fondant/gumpaste roses. I wish I had made more roses, and I wish I could get SugarShack's technique down! Other than that I think it came out ok!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1235181

Any constructive critisism, or comments appreciated!

Thanks!

icon_smile.gif

24 replies
saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:49am
post #2 of 25

Great job! It's beautiful.

cookinmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookinmamma Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:51am
post #3 of 25

You did a fantastic job. Your roses are BEAUTIFUL!

mom2spunkynbug Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:55am
post #4 of 25

Thanks!

Oh, I forgot to say that they originally came to me with a Sylvia Weinstock cake photo from a magazine!!! icon_surprised.gif

They also didn't give me any color swatches, but said to make the bc "cream" and the roses "peach...not pastel, a deeper peach" so I did my best with the color too. I hope they like it!

Hopefully I will hear from them on Monday since the MOB is my ds's kindergarten teacher's aide!

icon_smile.gif

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:58am
post #5 of 25

The cake is beautiful. I left you a comment.

But I have a question: What is TFL? icon_redface.gif

I've seen it on here before and have been too embarassed to ask.

koalabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koalabear Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:58am
post #6 of 25

Great Job!! Looks FABULOUS!!!!

Marysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marysmom Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 1:04am
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcopeland

But I have a question: What is TFL? icon_redface.gif

TFL means Thanks For Looking.

HTH... Hope that Helps.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 1:12am
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marysmom

HTH... Hope that Helps.

Yeah. I've seen that one too and didn't know what it meant either.

Thanks.
icon_redface.gif

JennaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaK Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 1:31am
post #9 of 25

mom2spunkynbug..... I delivered my first wedding cake today too!! I was so excited it was my first wedding and my first real cake with pillars. They didn't want me to put the top tiers on the pillars until right before it went outside (it's currently 100 plus degrees here). The wedding coordinator said she would stack it herself. Yikes. So I don't have a picture of it put together. icon_mad.gif I will get one and post it soon.
But Congratulations! and your cake is beautiful!
jen

chelley325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelley325 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 1:38am
post #10 of 25

It looks wonderful! I love the roses!!

I am fairly new here, but have seen the "sugarshack method" mentioned a few times - what is this referring to?

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 2:54am
post #11 of 25

you did such a superb job on that cake. i'm soooo happy for you!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

mom2spunkynbug Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 2:58am
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelley325

I am fairly new here, but have seen the "sugarshack method" mentioned a few times - what is this referring to?

Chelley325...SugarShack is a member here, Sharon Z, who created a DVD to show how she gets perfectly smoothed buttercream covered cakes - her cakes are AMAZING!! Here is a link to one of her websites where you can order the DVD http://www.sugaredproductions.com/buttercreamdvd.php I have all of her DVDs they are great.

JennaK...Congratulations to you too! Oh wow, I can't imagine it being over 100 degrees! It was a nice sunny 70-ish degree day here, but I was sweating like you wouldn't believe! Good thing the AC was on in the restaurant! I was finishing putting on the borders and flowers when the head chef walks out and is watching me and says "It takes a steady hand" LOL Yeah, ok, you can go now - no sense in making me more nervous than I already was!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

chelley325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelley325 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 3:07am
post #13 of 25

[quote="mom2spunkynbug"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelley325

Chelley325...SugarShack is a member here, Sharon Z, who created a DVD to show how she gets perfectly smoothed buttercream covered cakes - her cakes are AMAZING!! Here is a link to one of her websites where you can order the DVD http://www.sugaredproductions.com/buttercreamdvd.php I have all of her DVDs they are great.

Thanks so much for the recommendation, these look awesome!

margery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margery Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 3:24am
post #14 of 25

i feel your pain jen--i delivered in this CA heat too today!! eek!

mom2spunkynbug Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:43pm
post #15 of 25

YAY! I just heard back from the MOB! icon_biggrin.gif

She said that the cake was so beautiful and it was exactly what her dd wanted! She said she had so many people coming up to her asking who did the cake and that is was just wonderful!

I really needed to hear this today (as my mood is in the dumps thumbsdown.gif ) I needed this little boost thumbs_up.gif

Zaxapi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zaxapi Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:12pm
post #16 of 25

The cake was beautiful. It looked perfect. Its always nice to hear back from the bride.

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:21pm
post #17 of 25

mom2spunkynbug, your cake looks AWESOME. icon_biggrin.gif I am glad they liked it. thumbs_up.gif

Feel better.
icon_sad.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:30pm
post #18 of 25

Ditto on those sugarshack DVD's ! I have all three and they are an enormous help! My techniques have improved so much!

Your cake is beautiful! I am jealous of your roses! I wish mine came out that nice. I think the color is pretty. Your cake is simple and elegant!
Congratulations!

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:36pm
post #19 of 25

Simply beautiful cake and your flowers are perfect.

It is always good to hear the compliments....you can make one cake or 100 cakes, it always makes you feel good.

Put on your happy face......beautiful job.

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:38pm
post #20 of 25

Beautiful. I love the colour of the roses.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:49pm
post #21 of 25

mom2spunkynbug, you did an amazing job on that cake! It looks beautiful! Love the roses, too! If it's any consolation, I'm still having trouble getting Sharon's (SugarShack's) technique down also. Mostly because even thought it seems that there's no air in my frosting, when I put it on the cake and begin smoothing, I still find a ton of air bubbles. Oh well, it's a learning curve - the more you do it the better you get.

Congrats on the MOB's compliments, too! Well done!

mom2spunkynbug Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:24pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

mom2spunkynbug, you did an amazing job on that cake! It looks beautiful! Love the roses, too! If it's any consolation, I'm still having trouble getting Sharon's (SugarShack's) technique down also. Mostly because even thought it seems that there's no air in my frosting, when I put it on the cake and begin smoothing, I still find a ton of air bubbles. Oh well, it's a learning curve - the more you do it the better you get.

Congrats on the MOB's compliments, too! Well done!

Thanks - yeah, I guess it's easier to deal with when you know you aren't the only one not getting it! I think it's my recipe. I wasn't sure exactly how much to use since my mixer is smaller than hers - and when I'm doing something (especially for the first time) I need exact amounts or else I'm lost! I found a thread with her recipe on it for a 4.5 qt mixer, but I don't know what size my bowl is - I can't find the size anywhere! It's just a "regular" standard KA (like the cheapest you can get), and it was a hand-me-down.

But yes, I figure the more I do the better I will get at it - hopefully, LOL

matwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matwogirls Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:43pm
post #23 of 25

I did not know what size my KA was too. So I took the serial number on it and googled it with KA and I found a site that told me the size... HTH

Janice

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:53pm
post #24 of 25

Great job!!!!! I think it's a beautiful cake and for not to much to go by color wise i think the colors are gorgeous!!! very nice and i wouldn't have guessed it to be your first!!! I hope my first wedding cake turns out that beautiiful!!!!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 7:05pm
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by matwogirls

I did not know what size my KA was too. So I took the serial number on it and googled it with KA and I found a site that told me the size... HTH

Janice

Hmmm.......I never would have thought of that. I only Googles my Model No. (on my smaller KA). I know my larger KA is a 6 qt and if I ever forget, it's stamped into the bowl right above the handle. I just don't know if my "little one" is 4.5 or 5 quarts. I'll give that a try. Thanks, Janice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%