Did You Hear That?????

Decorating By mommicakes Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 12:34am by Zaxapi

mommicakes Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 34

OK please forgive me this may be long and winded, but I am just so flustered right now!!! icon_eek.gif

I just got done watching the NBC evening news w/ Lester Holt. There was some news thing about how expensive weddings are these days, and how to make them more affordable.

Now, of course the first thing that you can do to save money on a wedding (according to the news), is to shortcut the cake. icon_surprised.gif WHAT?????

Fake cakes for display and serving sheet cakes is less expensive, (according to the news). icon_eek.gif

Cupcakes are cheaper than cakes (according to the news) tapedshut.gif

DH had to restrain me from destroying the television. Somebody from NBC should have been asking a "CAKER" how to save money on the wedding, because it is obviously "the flowers, the mints, anything BUT THE CAKE!!" Cake is the centerpiece (other than the bride) of the wedding.
Cake is like everything.

Now, tell me if I'm wrong, but, now it's going to be up to US to explain to potential clients how the news is wrong!!! icon_mad.gif

Fake cakes..... you wouldn't settle for a fake ring.. now would you????? they look good in a store window, but you wouldn't want one at your wedding right?

I am sorry if I am out of line, but this had steam coming out of my ears! icon_redface.gif Tell me what you all think????

If you followed this to the end of this post, thank you so much for baring with me. icon_lol.gif

33 replies
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 34

I mean I think that's a perfect plumb line to illumine how really wrong the news is in general. It's a tv show it's not 'the news'.

mommicakes Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I mean I think that's a perfect plumb line to illumine how really wrong the news is in general. It's a tv show it's not 'the news'.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

pinkbox Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 34

How disillusioned they are... I wish Martha Stewart would slap some sense into them... SHE could explain how to cut corners... and it is definately NOT THE CAKE!!!

Obviously they got their "newsworthy news" from the wrong source.

cakequeen50 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 34

I just don't understand who these news people are talking to, obviously it is NOT someone in the business!

lilmansmum Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 11:55pm
post #6 of 34

icon_confused.gif

Oh, PUH-LEASE!!!!

Don't even get me started. icon_mad.gif

I am at the point that I am so sick and tired of everyone coming to me wanting the creme-de-la-creme of cakes for nearly FREE that I could just scream. Everyone tells me how talented I am, and how I should go into business, and I should be on the Food Network, and oh, can you make me a 3-D Taj Mahal cake for $35.00? icon_eek.gif

And they are serious.

And they think I'm an extortionist for charging more.

Yeah, sure. Whatever.

cakelady45 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 34

I did not see this but I agree with you!!! If anyone asks me what they can do to cut costs a bit (and with EVERYTHING going up in price there's going to be a lot more of that happening) I always tell them that they can have me make a smaller extravagant cake and then kitchen cakes for the rest of the crowd. I've never heard of a wedding with a totally FAKE cake! That would just be wrong in so many ways! In fact, what the news probably didn't tell them is that most times (in the area in which I live) the cake dummies are just as expensive to buy as the cake ingredients!

You go girl!

loriemoms Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 11:57pm
post #8 of 34

Actualy, what I found funny was the part about cupcakes being cheaper. Yes, generally cupcakes maybe cheaper, but I found most brides will order 2-3 cupcakes a person and actually spend MORE money on them!

I met a gal at a class that is making big bucks off these fake cakes. She has a bunch of them she has made over the years. Really incredible works of art. She rents them all the time to brides for HUGE fees and makes them sheet cakes. She is laughing all the way to the bank, because they pick out the dummy cake they want, and it takes her no time at all to make the sheet cake (its just iced, no decoration, I dont even think its even smoothed out.!) Sure, the bride is saving money because she is paying about half for her wedding cake, she has beautiful photos(although its the same cake as her best friend, but....hahah) and the bakery doesnt even have to BAKE...imagine how easy that delivery is?

I agree, I think its awful, but shoot, would you eat hot dogs and fries at your wedding? These are just a different kind of bride.

I am concerned how they stated the cost of everything is going down. That means brides are gonna nickle and dime even more!

cwcopeland Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:05am
post #9 of 34

I saw a similiar story on GMA a few months ago. They rented a fake cake with a compartment carved out of the bottom layer for a Twinkie to fit in. The couple acted like they were cutting the cake and cut the Twinkie out and fed it to each other for pictures. The guests didn't even get a piece of sheet cake.

That's just plum tacky!

Lorendabug Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:11am
post #10 of 34

I charge by the number of servings and more depending on the design. So, if I have to make sheet cakes/cupcakes and a display cake then I do not see how they are saving money. I would have to charge them for the both, how does that save?

ShortcakesSweets Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:11am
post #11 of 34

I don't think it's anything to get too upset over. There have been threads on this same issue several months back.

marilyn Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:14am
post #12 of 34

I read an article a while back on how a bride can save money. It sugested not to tell the baker it is for a wedding, just a special occasion, because the baker will charge much more for a wedding cake. I wonder who comes up with these things? Marilyn

Melan Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:27am
post #13 of 34

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#25285140

This should take you to the story. Check it out, someone was serving hot dogs at their wedding -geez! I understand about budgeting and having to make smart $$ decisions, but if you want a cheap wedding cake -visit Walmart -you'll get what you pay for!

indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 1:38am
post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommicakes

Now, tell me if I'm wrong, but, now it's going to be up to US to explain to potential clients how the news is wrong!!! icon_mad.gif

And I do it by saying flat-out to brides, "Contrary to what all the wedding websites and magazines are telling you, no, it's NOT cheaper and let me tell you why ....."

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Actualy, what I found funny was the part about cupcakes being cheaper. Yes, generally cupcakes maybe cheaper, but I found most brides will order 2-3 cupcakes a person and actually spend MORE money on them!

I'm writing a Wedding Workshop (127 Powerpoint pages so far!) and on one page, I have included the phrase ... "Yes, cupcakes are cheaper ... if you get cheap cupcakes!"

Brides see the grocery store cupcakes with the big swirl on top for $5.99/dozen and think "Oh! I can get cupcakes for 50 cents each! Oh Debi! Will you make my wedding cupcakes? But I want them covered in chocolate ganache.... with a gumpaste rose on each and every one ..... and a little lady bug on the side of the rose. And can you make 'em so it looks like there's dew on the rose? (big pause........) What do you MEAN it will cost more than 50 cents!!!!" icon_eek.gif

They want a grocery store price ... but not a grocery store cake.

Yes cupcakes are cheaper ..... if you get cheap cupcakes.

loriemoms Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 2:21am
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Yes cupcakes are cheaper ..... if you get cheap cupcakes.

Actually, I get a LOT of brides who want the Cupcake Shoppe type cupcake (gourmet flavors, with a swirl of buttercream (often flavored as well) on top. They dont want anything else, no flowers, no picks, no anything. They just want a better tasting cupcake then the grocery store. I know for a fact it takes me two hours to make and decorate 100 cupcakes, and that is start to finish because I just did it this weekend! From putting them in the oven (I have cupcake pans that hold 24 cupcakes..I can get 100 baked in about 20 minutes) They cool off in another 20, I have a icing bag full of buttercream, I line them up and boom boom I am done. I don't have to worry about smoothing anything, I don't have to worry about decorating anything. I charge about a dollar less per cupcake then for a buttercream cake because it doesnt take me hardly any time, there is no planning involved, I go through a LOT less buttercream, and everyone wins. Transporting them is easy, as I buy the muffin clam cases in bulk for about 25 cents each (they hold 24 cupcakes) AND I reuse them. The brides buy the cupcake stands, or I rent them. So no doweling, no set up, no support systems. Sure, if a bride comes to me and wants a ganache cupcake with all kinds of doodads, I tell them that isn't a cupcake, that is a MINI cake, and that will be 15 dollars each. I think also what makes cupcakes cheaper for the bride is in our area, they charge 2-3 dollars a SERVING to CUT THE CAKE. They don't have to pay those fees if they go with cupcakes. (again, I mean good old fashion cupcakes!) I also have noticed a trend for evening weddings where brides are ordering a dozen to put on the kids table, so they won't be itching to have cake (and many miss it getting cake becuase they have left already) I had one bride who served cupcakes while her guest were waiting for her to arrive instead of little pigs in a blanket and shrimp rolls... so yes, the news DID stretch things a bit, but I do see the trend for cupcakes growing a lot!!

loriemoms Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 2:24am
post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn

I read an article a while back on how a bride can save money. It sugested not to tell the baker it is for a wedding, just a special occasion, because the baker will charge much more for a wedding cake. I wonder who comes up with these things? Marilyn

Now that is AWFUL! Although I am sure if they start asking about delivery fees and anniversary cake, you might start to wonder? hahaha

LeanneW Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 2:33am
post #17 of 34

sorry if I offend any Rachel Ray fans but last month she had a segment about how to save money on your wedding.

some were good tips, like buy the flower girls' dresses at Target.

Then they said to save $ by having a dummy cake and serving kitchen cake. Perhaps we should put in a call to MYTH BUSTERS.

These cake lies are taking over mass media, it has to be stopped.

Sorry if you like Rachel Ray, this is just one more reason for me to dislike her show.

terrylee Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 2:34am
post #18 of 34

The cost of a dummy cake is almost the same as a real cake....I have done several "dummy" cakes for the fairs and the cost of styrofoam is the same if I had bought cake mixes. Your time is the same. and I don't think you use the same cake for several different weddings, do you?

And the price of a good cupcake - almost the same as as cake.

I don't mind doing a small presentation cake and then put sheet cakes in the back. Somehow cutting a twinkie or a cup cake is just not the same.

indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 2:35am
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn

There's a venue near me that flat out has on their price list:"

Family Celebration on a Saturday Night: $1000
Wedding on a Saturday Night: $1500

I asked "What do you tell brides when they ask why they have to pay $500 more?" I can't even remember the answer, because it was so fulla BS and made no sense whatsoever. It gave me the impression that it was the first time it had been questioned and they HAD no answer to that question. They just assumed they could charge more because it was a wedding.

Who comes up with these things? Unfortunately, this is ONE wedding "myth" that is way too true.

It's also why I am against party-cake-pricing and wedding-cake-pricing. It perpetuates the "myth" that brides are getting screwed over!

pinklesley1 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 4:07am
post #20 of 34

i could care less if it is a wedding, a birthday, or a divorce...

i have a 50th birthday cake that is just as big as most of the wedding cakes that i make...

and i didnt charge her any different... i could care less if the cake is for 5 or 500 my per slice charge is the same...

lardbutt Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 4:14am
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcopeland

I saw a similiar story on GMA a few months ago. They rented a fake cake with a compartment carved out of the bottom layer for a Twinkie to fit in. The couple acted like they were cutting the cake and cut the Twinkie out and fed it to each other for pictures. The guests didn't even get a piece of sheet cake.

That's just plum tacky!

Oh no they didn't!............I would be so mad if I went to a wedding where the couple shared a twinkie and I got no cake!

Call me selfish, but I go to a wedding for the cake!

Mike1394 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 9:00am
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by leannewinslow

Sorry if you like Rachel Ray, this is just one more reason for me to dislike her show.

Oh there's PLENTY of reasons to dislike RR. I was flipping through one day, and ran across a promo of a show w/ her making dog food. First thing I thought of. Cool now she can show the world she can't cook for animals also.

Mike

veejaytx Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 10:29am
post #23 of 34

One thing I've noticed about RR is when she starts "plating" her food, being for dogs or humans, she puts enough on there for at least two people in each serving. Way too much food for one person IMHO.

Yes, I saw that dog food episode, she says she cooks for her dog every night!

If she wants a talk show, why doesn't she just do a talk show and stop the cooking? It must be pretty easy to cook if you have someone to prepare every thing ahead of time and clean up after you!

veejaytx Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 10:33am
post #24 of 34

Speaking of news stories...did you see the one about the couple getting married in the middle of the flood?
Great story, they managed to get a minister, flowers and even a cake, which was wonderful...but, when the bride fed the groom a mouthful of cake he almost choked on it.

Guess they were pretty fortunate to even be able to have a wedding, and seemed happy as clams.

debster Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 11:30am
post #25 of 34

terrylee I agree with you, I tell my Brides does it not take me the same time to decorate a dummie cake as the real thing? They order and agree. Now I have to say they are wanting cupcakes cheap and I refuse. I also tell them next to your dress the cake is the main attraction, scrimp somewhere else. Thanks for letting me vent!!!!!

loriemoms Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:06pm
post #26 of 34

shoot, if someone wants a twinkee for a wedding cake, just send them this photo...

Setup and Delivery is extra of course.
LL

cakegal Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:25pm
post #27 of 34

That's funny loriemoms. My son is getting married next month... I'm doing the wedding cake and wedding cake cookies for favors. I tried talking my future DIL to please let me make them a cupcake wedding cake...no way.. she wants a traditional wedding cake. This will be my last wedding cake.. I'm a cupcake/cookie person now. I make the yummy flavors and icings. So much quicker for me. And I'm not in the hot kitchen waiting for those big cakes to finish baking...I admire the cake bakers...but I'm going the fast and easy way. But my pricing is way above wal-marts.. And mine are fresh baked too.
It's ashame the news media thinks they are helping people out by doing these things. My cupcakes at a wedding would compliment any bride..and the smell of them when walking by is out of this world...LOL.. I go to a wedding for the cake, too. I love wedding cake. It's just that mine will be in cupcakes after next month..LOL..

loriemoms Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 2:22pm
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegal

My cupcakes at a wedding would compliment any bride..and the smell of them when walking by is out of this world...LOL.. I go to a wedding for the cake, too. I love wedding cake. It's just that mine will be in cupcakes after next month..LOL..

I know what you mean! I make things like banana cupcakes, and chocolate chip cupcakes and even marble cupcakes! (these were discovered by mistake..if fill the cupcake half full, then put a big heavy dallop of dark chocolate batter with pudding added to it, right in the middle. The yellow or white kind of rises around the chocolate and it makes a neat looking and tasting cupcake!) I put things like kahula and cinnomon in my buttercream. The brides really enjoy having these different yet simple cupcakes. I wish I could do nothing but them too, as man you can really whip them out!!!

allydav Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 2:57pm
post #29 of 34

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619#25303830

Here is the news story. You can click on the link to "discuss" this report, and leave comments. Hopefully we cakers can set them straight.

azureblu Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 7:03pm
post #30 of 34

When I was in baking school, we had a bride who needed a cake for 60 people, but wanted the look and size of cake for 200 people. A five tier cake. This was mostly for pictures.

So I made the bottom two sizes in a dummy cake, then the top three sizes in cake.. the dummy cakes came back to the school and she was thrilled with the look and the price.

I do not do very large wedding cakes any more, and use this idea all the time for smaller weddings. Azure

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%