Black Mmf Masters?

Decorating By MacsMom Updated 22 Jun 2008 , 4:12pm by MacsMom

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 5

I have tried both Americolor and Wilton black and my MMF turns out so funky!

Am I not adding enough cocoa powder so that I don't have to use as much color, or is it the cocoa powder causing the funkiness? I've tried it with 1 T and another batch with 1/4 c.

I don't want to resort to buying SI, but I probably will if I need to cover a cake in black.

My black MMF is not smooth when you roll it out (it would be perfect for an asphalt look), it's kinda crumbly--not stretchy at all.

I would try it with a darker color base (red, blue, purple) but it seems all dark food coloring acts weird in MMF.

Does anyone have it mastered yet?

4 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 5

sounds to me like it's drying out. try adding some shortening to it. icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 5

Yeah, I tried that, but I think it is more a chemical reaction with the food color. As I'm stirring and kneading it it feels different than regular or lighter colored MMF--almost rubbery.

It doesn't seem to want as much PS as normal, but it needs it. My first batch was sticky and soft when I didn't knead in all of the PS. Even the sticky soft batch wasn't elastic and I thought maybe there was too much cocoa powder, which is why I only used 1 T this time.

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 3:36am
post #4 of 5

I add just enough cocoa to make it a middle shade brown...then start adding black Americolor until it gets black... make sure you're sifting the cocoa in... then start adding your PS...make it a little more stickier than you normally do, as the chocoalte MMF tends to cool harder than normal.. if its too ######### it cools, warm it up SLIGHTLY in the microwave before rolling it out...

MacsMom Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 5

Okay. I'll give it another shot. Thanks for the tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%