Fondant, How Far In Advance???

Business By goal4me Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 12:27am by loriemoms

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 4

Making a 2 tiered present wedding cake for my brothers wedding next weeked. The cakes are baked, torted and filled...will put on crumb coat...
question: how far in advance can I cover the cake with the fondant? Can it stay for a day in the fridge before the wedding???

I was planning to freeze the cakes until Friday morning and cover with fondant Friday night then to the fridge or air conditioned room and keep there until transport???

Any assistance is welcome!!!! Thanks!

3 replies
lynndy-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynndy-lou Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 4

Hello,
I'm in the UK and I use fondant for all cakes, I make and decorate cakes upto a week in advance. I wouldnt recomend putting fondant in the fridge as it will be to moist and soggy and also colours run.
Lynne

DesignerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerCakes Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:31am
post #3 of 4

You should have no problem putting the fondant in the fridge. What kind of fondant are you using?

I would cover the cake the day before and decorate, then either place in the fridge, or leave out if the fillings allow it. I've never had a problem refrigerating fondant. As a matter of fact, all my cakes are refrigerated once they are filled and covered with fondant because I only use IMBC on my cakes.

Good luck.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:27am
post #4 of 4

I have also done fondant cakes up to 2-3 days (depending on filings) with no problem, and have had no problems putting them in the fridge. I think it depends on what brand fondant you use. I know MMF won't work or Wilton fondant in the fridge..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%