Dog Tutorial??

Decorating By armywife1 Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 11:46am by ngfcake

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 10

I'm so intrigued with the dog cakes on here and I would love a tutorial on how it's done. I know how to make the ones where you cut two 9" pans, but would love how to make the one like Elisa Strauss makes. My big question is how to do the head. Anyone willing to share a step by step on the entire process?

9 replies
armywife1 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 12:10am
post #2 of 10

Anyone? Dog head? Tutorial? Do you make it out of cake, RKT?

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 12:23am
post #3 of 10

Do you mean the one where the dog is lying down, like my avatar? I forget who, but she put pictures of the cake carved before it was iced on here, and that's the only way I figured out how to do it. I still need more practice. There are some other styles, though, too.

armywife1 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:01am
post #4 of 10

The dog in your avatar is the one I already know how to do. I was wondering how to do the dogs that are laying down, but their heads are up. I hope that makes sense. icon_redface.gif

armywife1 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:02am
post #5 of 10

Oh, and they are covered with fondant.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:59am
post #6 of 10

Duff did one on Ace of Cakes, and you can get the whole season, I believe at Target for about $20.

debrab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debrab Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:09am
post #7 of 10

Well . . . I did a dog, or atleast it was supposed to be a dog. It is just the head and no body, but I just stacked some cakes and started cutting. My friend loved it but, I have a long way to go!! The brown icing on the cake is kind of dark and you can't see the ears and stuff. The ears and mouth area are fondant. So is his spiked collar.

You can see the dog in my photos. I never can get my images small enough to attach here.

Good luck when you try it!!

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 9:47am
post #8 of 10

Hi,

Maybe this video will help you:

armywife1 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:41am
post #9 of 10

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. thumbs_up.gif ngfcake, that video from confetti cakes was neat. I watched it about 10 times taking mental notes. icon_lol.gif

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:46am
post #10 of 10

You're welcome! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%