First Cake-Fondant Question

Decorating By flygurl25 Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 2:06am by Lady_Phoenix

flygurl25 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 6

Hello Everyone, I am new to the site but I already think it is great. Problem at hand: I am making my first professional cake, it is a baby shower cake with lots of fondant features; the cake, the little babies-ALL FONDANT. I have tasted fondant and I really don't like it and I don't want my first professional cake to really suck for everybody so are there any suggestions on what to do here. I hope you can help thank you

-T icon_smile.gif

5 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 6

Yes, you're a newbie, so I will be happy to help you.

Most people won't eat those decorations, anyway, so I don't see the worry.

Are you using pre-made fondant or are you making your own?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Lady_Phoenix Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 6

I make marshmallow fondant and use that for all my accents. I also cover my cakes with it. It tastes wonderful and is not hard to work with. Michelle Foster has a recipe here on Cake Central for regular fondantl. I have not tried her recipe yet but it gets rave reviews. When I make a cake I make as much as possible edible. I am really glad I do since a 10 year old ate the plaque on her cake wishing her happy birthday last weekend! icon_lol.gif

flygurl25 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 6

I was going to do premade fondant but then I thought that instead of trying to do that why not just do the cakes in buttercream. This is my first job and I don't want to screw it up the people that I am making the cake for are used to traditional cakes and I don't know how open they would be to trying something new...BUT...that marshmallow fondant sounds interesting is there a site where I could get the recipe if you don't mind. Thanks for replying by the way.

playingwithsugar Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 6

It's in the recipes section - the tab is at the top of the homepage.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Lady_Phoenix Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:06am
post #6 of 6

There are several MMF variations posted here. The one I use is a pound of marshmallows, 2 T water water melted together and mixed with powdered sugar and flavoring. I mix it in my KA after greasing the dough hook and bowl very well to minimize sticking. I start with 2 lbs of sifted 10 x sugar but only put half in the bowl before the marshmallows. Depending on the weather you may or may not need all of the remainder.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%