Crusting Cream Cheese Bc Or Regular Crusting Bc?

Decorating By BakingGirl Updated 22 Jun 2008 , 4:20am by Shola

BakingGirl Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 4

I am not too used to using crusting butter creams, I am normally a IMBC girl. But I am planning on doing 15 cupcake bouquets with piped flowers which needs to be wrapped in cello bags and then transported so I am looking for something which is does not get smooshed quite as easily as IMBC.

I think I would prefer the flavor of the BC with cream cheese but I don't know how it holds up compared to regular BC (butter with some shortening). It is hot here (90F). The cupcakes will be stored in my fridge, go in a car with AC but at the other end the bouquets will be out of the fridge for a little while.

Which would you choose, cream cheese BC or regular BC?

This is not so much a question of food safety, rather about meltability.

Hope anyone has some good tips for me.

3 replies
tomatoqeen Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 10:30pm
post #2 of 4

I just made the crusting cream cheese buttercream found in the recipe section and it was sooooo wonderful tasting. It firmed up real well in the fridge, but I waited too long to smooth and it was very crusted. I served the cake to family and let it set out on the counter for about 1-2 hours. It got so soft and creamy (terrible, just terrible LOL) that the last of the 6" high 6" round cake tipped over. Wasn't a trauma as there was only about 2 servings left. I think if I were worried about meltability or sticking to cello, I would use a regular BC. I'm a newbie, but just my humble opinion.

BakingGirl Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 3:18am
post #3 of 4

Thank you for your advice tomoatoqeen, it is so useful to hear of other people's experiences.

Shola Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 4:20am
post #4 of 4

I just made a Red Velvet cake with Decoraters Crusting cream cheese BC, it not only taste great it crusts as well as normal BC!
Recipe link:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4153-Decorators-Cream-Cheese-Frosting.html
HTH's icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%