heavenlys Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 4:59pm
post #1 of

Hi I have been asked to make a police car grooms cake. I plan to carve the cake and it will be covered in fondant.

I just want everyone to know and I am not ashamed to admit that transportation cakes of any kind or my arch nemesis. I really dislike doing thembut when a bride comes to me and cries that noone else can do that kind of cake and pleassssse pleasssse make it for her I cave and buckle.

So if any one has any tips that could make it not so difficult I greatly appreciate it. Mayb I could learn to love prbbaly more like like trasportation.

TIA

10 replies
Kitagrl Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 5:08pm
post #2 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlys

Hi I have been asked to make a police car grooms cake. I plan to carve the cake and it will be covered in fondant.

I just want everyone to know and I am not ashamed to admit that transportation cakes of any kind or my arch nemesis. I really dislike doing thembut when a bride comes to me and cries that noone else can do that kind of cake and pleassssse pleasssse make it for her I cave and buckle.

So if any one has any tips that could make it not so difficult I greatly appreciate it. Mayb I could learn to love prbbaly more like like trasportation.

TIA

I hate car cakes too. icon_smile.gif I have a hard time getting into it. If they need more servings than the Wilton cruiser pan then I say just double stack some sheet cakes and take it a little at a time. I usually get a good photo off Google Images and do some rough measurements so I get the general proportions right, and then just carve away. My biggest problem has been this so far: I always carve it PERFECT before I put the icing and fondant on. BUT by the time I add all that stuff, the car becomes too chunky (you can see in my pix). So I suggest making it slightly too long/narrow/thin and then once you add all the other stuff it should be just right.

Have fun. I'm glad I don't have any more in the near future. haha. I almost totally gave up car cakes recently when my airbrush started sputtering and the slight black shadow I was trying to add to a yellow sports car ended up as thick black smudges. *sigh*

inspireddecorator Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 5:27pm
post #3 of

I have only made one car and I too wasn't sure how to go about carving it. I made two 12" square cakes stacked. I started by cutting the back and then moved to the top and front. I had a picture of a car for reference of how the body would look. The car was probably 3/4 lengthwise of the square cake. The large part I cut off, I carved it and used for the hood as I realized that the body wouldn't be long enough, so I added on. It's just a lot of carving little by little until you get the look you want. But of course until I started to put fondant on it etc. I wasn't sure how it would turn out. Here is my car I did. Tires are flat. haha, didn't let them dry long enough.

Good luck and I know I wasn't much help. But if you want a drawing of how I did, I can give that to you.
LL

Kitagrl Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 5:55pm
post #4 of

You can put your car up on 2-3 thicknesses of cake boards in order to make it look a little "suspended" so the wheels will look all the way round... just wrap the layers in black foil or something so you can't see them.

JulieB Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 5:58pm
post #5 of

Inspired decorator, that is a great cake.

Children Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 6:11pm
post #6 of

Inspired Decorator

That cake is awesome. I would love if you would pm me with any instructions on that. Thanks. icon_razz.gif

mamacc Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:03am
post #7 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

You can put your car up on 2-3 thicknesses of cake boards in order to make it look a little "suspended" so the wheels will look all the way round... just wrap the layers in black foil or something so you can't see them.

That's what I do...cut a custom cake board for the car to sit on with notches for wheels. Then underneath that board I have a smaller rectangular shaped board (1-2 layers of foamcore)...which is wrapped in black so you don't see it.

sugarshack Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 1:02am
post #8 of

email me for some pics that might help

katwomen1up Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 4:10am
post #9 of

Sorry to jump on the band wagon but I have a car cake to do next weekend and would appreciate all the help I can get. I've never worked with fondant either. Well once and I totally bombed. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kathie

amodeoandrea Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:02am

HA HA I had the same experience. I promised a bride a car too. Now I'm kicking myself for it! HELP!!!!!

Juny1980 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:08am

I just got an order for a car cake and I've NEVER made such a thing. Anyone got any ideas? Any tutorials? Anything would be GREATLY appreciated! I was thinking of using the WASC or Durable cake recipe to make this, but the carving is questionable. Please advise.

Thanks!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%