Help, Not Sure About Reinforcing My Cake!

Decorating By melaniet Updated 26 Jul 2008 , 4:27pm by melaniet

melaniet Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 7

hello everyone!

I am in process of making a hula girl cake. The base is two 10" cakes 2" in hieght and the then the skirt topper for the doll cakes. I was wondering if i need to reinforce this cake with dowles. I've just started decorating so i have no idea as to if this cake will fall into itself. It will just be covered in buttercream so no heavy fondant to worry about.
But I was also wondering if i should reinforce this cake, should reinforce each 10" cake, or would one dowle down the center work for this one? I measured and it should only be just over a foot tall when i'm done, thats including the doll.
This is one of my first cakes for hire and its for a birthday party so i know if its done right it will get me lots of business!
Please help
Thanks Melanie icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
Kitagrl Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 7

I would definitely put dowels (or large straws) between the 10" cakes and the wonder mold top. If for nothing else than ease of aren't going to want to cut that tall of servings anyway. I usually try to put a board and supports every 4" of cake.

melaniet Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 7

Oh perfect thanks for the information. I was thinking about putting the wonder mold on a board, the thought never even crossed my mind about serving it icon_smile.gif And that is a great idea to enforce every 4"
thanks again for your help icon_smile.gif

JanH Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 1:01am
post #4 of 7

Hi and Welcome to CC, melaniet. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

Everything you ever wanted to know about making your first tiered cake:

melaniet Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 4:09am
post #5 of 7

Oh thank you so much! This site has been very useful so far!

I've attached the cake i just finished working on, I'm pretty happy with the final product!

gottabakenow Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 7

looks great! i love her skirt! how'd you do the letters?

melaniet Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 4:27pm
post #7 of 7
Originally Posted by gottabakenow

looks great! i love her skirt! how'd you do the letters?

Sorry for taking so long to reply, for the letter i used stenciles and cut them out of fondant... i was doing it at the 11th hour and didn't have time to run around town looking for cutters. I found the stencils in the woodworking section of Michaels icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%