How Do I Figure Out My Oven And Need Rec For New Oven

Decorating By shanasweets Updated 21 Jun 2008 , 10:00pm by shanasweets

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 3

I have a convection oven. Bought new couple years ago. When I use convection bake, it states it is going to 25 degree less. (exa: I set 325, it shows 300). At first was no big deal, but with all the post about making sure of your temp, I bought a thermastat. I have had 2 now, because did not trust the first. Now I haven't bought the most expensive, but still nice dial thermastat that hangs from top/middle rack. I had found that it seemed my oven was 25 degree off. So If I want to bake a cake at 325, I have been putting in 375, so that the oven temp goes to 325, despite dial saying it is at 350. Well this morning I baked a cake just like above, but then made cookies after, that needed to bake at 375. Reprogrammed for 425, but went ahead and placed cookies in oven, thing beaps a little while later indicating oven at temp. But when I chedked on Cookies, oven thermometer still said 325. Cookies did fine, but can't figure out this oven. It does have fan in back to circulate air. I am leaving this oven when I move and plan to buy a new one. This is a Sears Frigidare.
Any recommendations on good new oven I can look into. Plan to go legal when I move, so I want good convection oven. thanks for reading wordy post

2 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 3

I think part of the problem is where you are placing your thermometer.

Note - I do not own a convection oven.

When i tested the oven in my new house, I placed it in the center of a baking sheet, on the center rack, and allowed it to run for 30 minutes after the pre-heat signal went on. Tested at 350 degrees.

Then I did the same with a cake pan - placed it in the center rack and allowed it to run the same amount of time.

Also, just changing the thermostat in any oven will not completely fix it. Once the part is replaced, the oven needs to be re-calibrated by a professional.

Did you put the new thermostat in yourself, or did a repair person do it?
They should have re-calibrated it immediately after installation.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 10:00pm
post #3 of 3

I bought one of those thermometers you buy at walmart. You hang on rack to confirm oven temp. I am selling my house and leaving the stove, so I am not going to call out a repair man. I just live with it and look for a better oven when I move.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%