This Was No Tea Party...

Decorating By vampgirl Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 12:40am by JulieB

vampgirl Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 5:03am
post #1 of 6

icon_biggrin.gif I had gotten my daughter a tea set for her birthday in April and wanted to make her a birthday cake that would go along with that theme. I am still just an infant in cake decorating, only starting to learn how to roughly in about Febuary. So, i'm not knowing much even now. I decide to show off my new talents and my imagination. I made a two tiered cake with two layered ten inch round and two layered six inch round. The cake was white and had chocolate pudding between each layer. I iced it with home made butter cream icing and had prime roses on the ten inch/ table and chairs (with the first letter of my daughter's name in the backs of the chairs, even went so far as to make a little bunny to sit in a chair and a tea pot and tea cups to sit on the table) out of home made royal icing. Her party was to be roughly about 100 miles away from my home at her grandparent's home. I had about ten miles to go until we arrived, the top layer slid right off of the six inch round. icon_cry.gif Made a mess of the cake!!!! I did know I had to have rods of some sort to support the cake layers... icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_cry.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gifTalking about learning from experience... thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
vampgirl Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 5:05am
post #2 of 6

the pic of my cake that is mentioned is on my profile

-K8memphis Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 5:13am
post #3 of 6

It was a very beautiful cake obviously made with love.

The pudding made it slide? I put a buttercream dam of icing around the edge of my cakes to be filled so the cakes don't slide apart like that. If the layer is really big I put an extra spot of buttercream in the middle to keep things glued so the next layer doesn't slide.

So sorry that happened.

moxey2000 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 5:49am
post #4 of 6

I agree with k8memphis...gotta have the buttercream to act as 'glue' between the cake layers, especially when using something soft like pudding for filling. Don't worry dear, it's happened to most, if not all, of us...at least you have learned something from it thumbs_up.gif .

jammjenks Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 6

I have never use any filling except for bc, so I may not have much to add. I did want to say, though, that I have read on CC before not to use pudding as a filling. After a while it starts to separate and will cause your cake to slide apart and/or become very crumbly. Someone else may disagree...as I mentioned, I haven't ever tried it.

JulieB Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 12:40am
post #6 of 6

The cake is very pretty, and I'm sure your daughter appreciated it. One day, she will remember all the pretty cakes Mom made while she was growing up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%