It Broke My Heart!

Decorating By nikki72905 Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 9:43pm by nikki72905

nikki72905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki72905 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 4:37am
post #1 of 14

Weird title for this thread area, but you'll understand after you read:

My DSS and I were at Sam's club around the bakery, so he took a look through the book of cakes and said " I want a Kacey Khaine (SP) cake for my next birthday ..." I said ok... he said I want one with a little Kacey Khaine car on it... I said ok... I can make one of those ... He then said ... Oh your going to make it....

icon_sad.gif Now he loved his last cake (the spongebob cake in my photos) However, he is just not used to homemade things... His mother wouldn't even think of making a cake. Also most of the "homemade" items that his mom makes are burnt and charred - He eats like a pig when he comes to our house because he says that we have better food.

But Needless to say, I am making his cake whether he likes it or not, So I am trying to think of the best way to make is cake (I have a year to plan it, his birthday is not until Feb. 2009) I want to WOW him... The taste is not the issue, but I want him to be so surprised when he see's his cake, so much so that he would never even think of getting a cake like this and would not be able to get a cake like this at a store.

GRRR... KIDS!

If you have any ideas please let me know.
Thank you in advance!

13 replies
Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 4:47am
post #2 of 14

I can relate to your story I have a nephew that is in kind of the same situation and every year I make his cakes he always tells me the day after his party is over what he wants me to make for the following year he now gets so excited in fact if you look in my pic 90% of the cakes are his for his birthday and in a couple of weeks a new one will be added I'm hoping to make a very large Football stadium I have turned down cakes for many friends for the month of July just to focus on his cake and he loves it he is so proud of them

Molly2

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 10:22am
post #3 of 14

Just posted this regarding Kung Fu Panda, but if you do a Google search for Kasey Khane (this is the spelling) you'll find lots of photos, etc. to help you get ready for this cake.

I didn't know what it was, and for others who don't, it is a he, and he is a race car driver.

Molly2 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 1:12pm
post #4 of 14

You know what would be cool is if you could do a editable image of the race Driver at the track and then on top of the cake make his race car a 3D race car. Just an idea

Molly2

Marysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marysmom Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 1:18pm
post #5 of 14

You know, after reading your post, I got the feeling that maybe he doesn't want you to make it. Tell me if I'm wrong. You say his mom would never make anything like that, do you think his mom is at all jealous or upset by you making the cake?

Again, tell me if I'm way off base here. It's just when you said that he said "Oh, you're going to make it." it just hit me that maybe he's trying to protect his mother from feeling bad.

Or the fact that he was looking through the book of cakes at Sam's and asking for it to have a car on it. Like he wants the plastic car on it. Like he's trying to tell you that he just wants a grocery store cake.

I don't know, it's funny how your post struck me. I hope that everything's fine and that I'm reading way too much into your post. And, please, I don't mean to offend or conjure up problems that aren't even there.

Or who knows, perhaps looking through the cake book is his indirect way of letting you know that he's thinking of his next cake from his stepmom!

Molly2 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:10am
post #6 of 14

Are you could have hubby build a model car and place it on the cake with the imaging the background. you know some children think because they see it in a store everything comes from a store for example we live in the city and when my child was smaller youâd ask him where does milk come from and he would say the store will because thatâs the only place he ever saw where milk was bought at he had never seen a real live cow yet, some smaller kids think that their teachers live at school because they see them their everyday they don't stop to think they have families and lives to maybe thatâs what this little one is thinking maybe he thinks because he saw this cake at the store it can only come from the store.
nikki72905 Good Luck with your cake and be sure to post I'd like to see what you come up with. thumbs_up.gif
Molly2

ctucker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctucker Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 1:57am
post #7 of 14

I'm thinking...I have no clue what this Kacey thing is...but your DSS sounds to be in the not yet a preteen (4-9) age range?

Regardless, if his birthday isnt until February, I wouldnt bother planning a cake now. Most kids are really flakey and next month he might hate this Kasey thing or just simply want something else. By February he is even more likely to be following another trend.

If you want to make him a fabulous cake, keep up with what he wants and be sure not to give him something he liked a year ago (but not anymore)

NanaFixIt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaFixIt Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 2:10am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

Just posted this regarding Kung Fu Panda, but if you do a Google search for Kasey Khane (this is the spelling) you'll find lots of photos, etc. to help you get ready for this cake.

I didn't know what it was, and for others who don't, it is a he, and he is a race car driver.

Actually, it's 'Kasey Kahne' - have son-in-law and grandson who are AVID fans! Cute guy who does many commercials - usually women who wreck their cars (or his) because they're gazing at him! Gorgeous baby face...

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 2:24am
post #9 of 14

Well, IMHO, you SHOULD do the cake and wow him. I think that he is wanting a COOL cake that most kids think magically appear from grocery stores. I dont think he realizes that you can make something like that but BETTER!! But the post about how flakey kids are is SOOOO true! When I would plan my kids' cakes, they would have something specific in mind, and when it came to the actual day of making it they would change their mind. Just get him excited about it and maybe before you make his cake make a really neat, "practice" cake that he can say WOW! I want that one for my REAL birthday!!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 10:10am
post #10 of 14

Thanks for the correction, Nanafixit, I read the name your way and typed it another!

I'd also have to agree with ctucker, who knows what the latest and greatest thing will be with the DSS by the time his birthday comes!

I have to wait and listen to my DGS almost up to the last minute to see what his newest "favorite" is...a couple of years ago he had two, so I had to come up with a way to cover them both (the Cars and Nintendogs in my photos.)

nikki72905 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:26am
post #11 of 14

Thanks for all your posts.

I think I will wait to come up with a cake.

DSS ALWAYS gets two birthdays, two birthday cakes, etc. So I am not afraid of taking away from whatever his mom is, That little line was just to let you know that he doesn't know anything other than "store bought" When he is with his mom, he eats Mcdonalds, burger king... Etc. he does not have cooked meals (not that there is anything wrong with that, it is just not what he gets. When he is at our house, we do not eat "fast food" other than pizza, and most of the time I make that too.) My husband and I are starting to make the switch to Organic foods because we are trying to lose weight.

But anyway...
I believe those of you who said maybe that is all he is used to, is right.

Last year he wanted spongebob, so I gave him a neat sponge bob cake that I know that I could do better today, but it was my first cake.

So next year closer to his birthday I'll ask again, and he will get what ever he chooses.

Molly2 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 12:33pm
post #12 of 14

nikki72905

I can total relate my little nephrews found out when he was 5 that I could make and decorate cakes so every year right after his birthday he always tells me "Thank for my cake next year could you make me a ---- cake" so evey year at this time (his birthday is in July) I am plannig a cake for him and he does not change his mind as soon as school lets out for summer he will call and tell me my birthday is coming don't forget my cake if you look in my picture 90% of the kids cake are his from his past birthdays my son is a lot older so he doesn't ask for a cake for his B-Day but my nephew is still little and I have a lot of fun with his birthdayin fact Ilooke forward to it my brother is a single parent so we all get together and do a big party every year, Have fun with it.

Molly2 icon_smile.gif

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:48pm
post #13 of 14

I agree with ctucker. Having 3 boys 3-12 I know how they blow like the breeze. Besides making cakes, I alway make them special Halloween costumes. I know that they are going to change their minds at least four times before I actually cut the fabric. And then, it's too late. They're stuck with it! I bet he'll change his mind. Two of my boys have birthdays in September and I am already trying to figure in my head how I am going to make a kirby and a sonic the hedgehog cake, but I won't really start until about two weeks before their birthdays. And then it's too late, they're stuck and no longer have a say! I have to follow the contract!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

nikki72905 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 9:43pm
post #14 of 14

Hmmm? making him sign a contract ... LOL This just might work for more than just a cake...

Maybe cleaning his bedroom, doing his chores ...

Could it work, Probably not -- it's too easy LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%