Rkt Question!

Decorating By lindseyelaine Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 7:24pm by ChristianCakeBaker

lindseyelaine Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 3:29am
post #1 of 10

Does anyone have any tips on cutting/shaping RKT??

9 replies
makincakeintx Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 3:37am
post #2 of 10

I use cookie cutters while the rkt are still warm and they cut easily. Thats all I got.

Mel, icon_redface.gif

mamacc Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 11:44am
post #3 of 10

I like to shape them while they are warm. Then, while they are firming up I keep tweaking the shape to get what I want.

-K8memphis Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 12:46pm
post #4 of 10

I keep my rikt over a pan of warm water just like for chocolate and use it like that from the pan so it doesn't set too fast. I mean I make rkt bird nests in individual size servings though.

I use cookie cutters to cut them into shapes sometimes and I press them down with a rolling pin.

Coupla rkt thoughts

wgoat5 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 1:32pm
post #5 of 10

depends.. sometimes I shape mine.. sometimes I shape mine into a block and carve... AND I always use the RKT full recipe.. I never have omitted the butter (I want them to actually taste good LOL).. and I haven't ever had a problem

leily Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 4:05pm
post #6 of 10

I form in a cookie cutter (I don't like to have the waste from cutting them). Or form by hand while still warm.

Keeping them over some warm water is a good idea.. i'll have to use that one.

I agree with Wgoat5 I don't modify my recipe either. The rice krispies always get eaten (and are usually fought over) so I want them to taste good.

saberger Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:43pm
post #7 of 10

I want to try using these in decorating, like modeling stuff....how do I keep it from sticking to my hands? Can I use the regular RKT recipe on the box? Or is there a better one where it doesn't stick to my hands?

mamacc Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:13pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

I want to try using these in decorating, like modeling stuff....how do I keep it from sticking to my hands? Can I use the regular RKT recipe on the box? Or is there a better one where it doesn't stick to my hands?

I use the recipe on the box but usually add extra rice krispies or it's too marshmallow-y...sounds like this might be happening to you. Also, you can coat your hands with a little crisco to help with sticking.

RobzC8kz Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:07pm
post #9 of 10

I use cookie cutters for basic shapes and I also carve them into other special shapes. I use regular ole steak knives, paring knives, etc. when I carve. Anything sharp!! I prefer them to be cool when I'm carving. Warm RKT tend to separate and not hold their shape. For big things (like the skull I did) I form it all into a block, press it together until it's a giant compacted mass, then carve my shape out of it.

ChristianCakeBaker Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:24pm
post #10 of 10

i've found that the more marshmellow-y they are the easier they are to shape. i guess it's because they stick together easier. you can add too much krispies... then they wont stick or hold their shape at all.

and i usually just shape mine by using my hands... then when i go back when they are hard and do the detail stuff...

but of course i'm not pro because i havent used RKT very much... i've just practied with it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%