North Carolina Kitchen Inspection??????

Decorating By tannersmom Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 2:10am by southerncake

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 2:07am
post #1 of 4

I live in NC and I'm in the process of having my kitchen inspected so I can become a LEGAL cake decorator.
I was wondering if anyone from Carolina has had their kitchen inspected? If so, what were they actually looking at and looking for. I've contacted the Dept of Ag and got the info but it's alot of hoopla. I wanna make sure that I have all my ducks in a row before they get here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Stephanie

3 replies
southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 4

It varies greatly from county to county depending on who your inspector is (most inspectors cover several counties).

For the most part, they are making sure there are no pets, checking the overall cleanliness of your kitchen/surrounding areas, and making sure cake supplies/ingredients are kept separate from your families items. They want you to have a separate shelf in your pantry labeled "CAKE USE ONLY" and a shelf in the fridge with the same label.

They are also looking for things like signs of insects or rodents.

Good luck!!

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:05am
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if they would inspect the rooms next to the kitchen. I'm so nervous about it. I want my house to pass but I'm scared that it's not going to be clean enough. Did you do EXTRA cleaning????? Just wondering.

Stephanie

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:10am
post #4 of 4

Yes, I do LOTS of extra cleaning (even though they usually don't look at most of what I do extra icon_rolleyes.gif !). How much they see really depends on how your home is designed. My kitchen/living room are pretty open in the house we are in now, so he saw both. In my previous house, you had to go through the living room and dining room to get to the kitchen and then from the kitchen you could see the den, so they got to see a lot of the house!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%