Checkered Fondant Tablecloth

Decorating By vmertsock Updated 21 Jun 2008 , 2:03am by msulli10

vmertsock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmertsock Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 1:43am
post #1 of 4

Has anyone ever done one of these? I'm draping it, not laying it flat so I'm not sure if it'd be better to use fondant squares or paint them on.

3 replies
tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 1:49am
post #2 of 4

Wow you must have ESP!I was just think the same thing.I am making a picnic table and was just gonna drap the fondant over.I think I am going to pre cut the square and paint on little red squares.Can't wait to see the other comments.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 1:55am
post #3 of 4

I have never done it but thought about it. If I were to do it (without any directions from anyone who's done it), I would do it like a weaved matt. Cut a square piece of white fondant, cut slits down it in one direction, then cut strips of red fondant (if you're doing a red picnic type of tablecloth) and weave it in and out of the white fondant.

Does that make any sense? We used to make those placematts in grade school with construction paper.

Sorry if I've confused you more.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 2:03am
post #4 of 4

I made a tablecloth for one of my cakes that looked like a fall picnic basket. I rolled out white fondant as a base and placed alternating blue (or red or any color you want) squares. I lightly rolled the whole thing so the squares were pressed onto the bottom fondant. Then I draped it so it looked like a table cloth. I actually got the idea from Ace of Cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%