Smbc Newbie.... Anything I Need To Know???

Decorating By nisha_ru Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 4:36pm by nisha_ru

nisha_ru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nisha_ru Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 12:37am
post #1 of 5

I'm using SMBC for the first time today, is there anything I should know about it?
Anything I shouldn't do with it? Any tips or tricks?

Thanks!!!

4 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:55am
post #2 of 5

Hope your SMBC was great. icon_smile.gif

You might enjoy Melysa's SMBC recipe, it's very versatile:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6927-Very-Vanilla-Swiss-Meringue-Buttercream.html

HTH

cb_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb_one Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 5

Her recipie is exactly like Elsa Strauss of Confetti Cakes.
The only difference is the use of salted butter.

its still a decent recipie though.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 5

Let's see... You can adjust the amount of butter. I only use 3 sticks of butter and prefer the less butter taste of it. (I like the well-dressed swiss meringue from here and she gives excellent step-by-step directions).

The longer you beat it, the whiter it gets. Also, if you want white (or at least whiter SMBC), use dye-free butter (generally organic).

Also, I recommend using pasteurized eggs to eliminate any fear of salmonella poisoning.

Really, you can't mess it up. You might just have to beat it for a VERY long time. icon_lol.gif I can't make it using a hand-mixer (don't have the patience) but love making it in my KA. Also, refrigerate it to make it firm then use the hot-knife method to smooth it. Repeat this until you get it as smooth as you like.

You can also refrigerate it until it's firm enought to be scraped off with a putty knife.

nisha_ru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nisha_ru Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

Let's see... You can adjust the amount of butter. I only use 3 sticks of butter and prefer the less butter taste of it. (I like the well-dressed swiss meringue from here and she gives excellent step-by-step directions).

The longer you beat it, the whiter it gets. Also, if you want white (or at least whiter SMBC), use dye-free butter (generally organic).

Also, I recommend using pasteurized eggs to eliminate any fear of salmonella poisoning.

Really, you can't mess it up. You might just have to beat it for a VERY long time. icon_lol.gif I can't make it using a hand-mixer (don't have the patience) but love making it in my KA. Also, refrigerate it to make it firm then use the hot-knife method to smooth it. Repeat this until you get it as smooth as you like.

You can also refrigerate it until it's firm enought to be scraped off with a putty knife.

Thank you so much for these tips! I did use the well dressed cake recipe and thought it was delightful! I was wondering about the yellow color too, and how long I could whip it, so you answered my questions well! I used my KA but didn't want to mix it for too long because i didn't know what it might do!

I'll have to see if I can find pasteurized eggs, I would feel better about using them!

Feel free to add anything else!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%