Wbh Bc Question

Baking By Sugar_Plum_Fairy Updated 21 Jun 2008 , 2:09am by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 12:18am
post #1 of 4

I just made my very first batch of this (used Alpine hi-ratio shortening). It tastes great!! I'm so excited. The only thing is it didn't make as much as I anticipated so I need to make more. Does anyone know if this recipe can be doubled? I was planning on making a double batch in my 6 quart mixer, but I don't know if it'll fit or if this is one of those recipes that doesn't turn out correctly when doubled.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited to add: Oh, two more questions: does this recipe crust and how does it handle in heat?

3 replies
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 1:06am
post #2 of 4

Okay, I guess I'll have to go with a different BC.

MOBOGAL Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 1:46am
post #3 of 4

Hi icon_smile.gif

I'm a little late, but maybe I can help? If this is the House buttercream you're refering to, I'm not sure a double batch would fit in the mixer. The recipe in the book says it should make 9.5 cups and will almost fill the bowl of a 5qt mixer. When I made it in my 5qt KA, it was pretty darn full (it got so fluffy and light!). It does not crust, b/c there is too low a sugar/fat ratio. I'm not sure how it handles in the heat (I've never used in hi heat), but since it has mostly shortening, my guess is it will be fine. If yours didn't make enough, perhaps you didn't beat it long enough? I found the longer I beat it, the fluffier and fuller it got. So maybe try mixing it a bit longer. I loved this icing, it was great! I hope that helps a little! Good luck.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 2:09am
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much, Mobogal. I like what I got from the first batch - a lot, but I have to be sure it will hold up in the heat as I believe it will be hot in Long Island on Sunday (if it's not raining).

I think just for that reason, I'm going to go with Indydebi's recipe. She was nice enough to answer a couple of PMs from me.

Thanks again. I will definitely use this recipe again. I would think it freezes well. Hopefully it does because that's where it's heading. lol icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%