Calling All Topsy-Turvy Cake Gurus...

Decorating By chatnoir5638 Updated 22 Jun 2008 , 6:23pm by chatnoir5638

chatnoir5638 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 3

I need help! I am doing a 3-tier 3inch round topsy turvy cake for about 100 tomorrow and I am all prepared. My icing and fondant are made and all cakes are in the freezer so I can carve them easier.

My questions are:
1. Do I wait until after I have thawed out the tiers before covering each with fondant? (I will carve them frozen...but do I cover frozen also?)
2. My 12'' tier is very heavy alone (without the 10'' and 8'' on top!) so I purchased a thick round wooden base from home depot. How do I attach the fondant covering to this base? And how do I then attach my pretty boa to encircle it? I don't want to hot glue it, for fear it won't come off in one piece!
3. Any clue how to do nice looking leopard print spots without looking dorky? Types of fondant I made: black, white, light brown, copper, and dark brown. Any suggestions?
Please pray for me...I am doing my first topsy turvy ever for my first ever multi-tiered cake for a baking contest for my hubby's company picnic tomorrow and I am VERY nervous! Any help your can offer will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Jodi

2 replies
mamacc Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 11:49am
post #2 of 3

1. Do I wait until after I have thawed out the tiers before covering each with fondant? (I will carve them frozen...but do I cover frozen also?)
---YES, definitely wait to cover the cakes till they can thaw and settle. I like to let them sit overnight.
2. My 12'' tier is very heavy alone (without the 10'' and 8'' on top!) so I purchased a thick round wooden base from home depot. How do I attach the fondant covering to this base? And how do I then attach my pretty boa to encircle it? I don't want to hot glue it, for fear it won't come off in one piece!
--you just roll out the fondant and stick it onto the board with water or shortening...something like that. not sure about attaching the boa...

3. Any clue how to do nice looking leopard print spots without looking dorky? Types of fondant I made: black, white, light brown, copper, and dark brown. Any suggestions?
--I would just cut out the shapes and stick them on. maybe cut circles and shape/cut them to how you want??

chatnoir5638 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%