Comments About The Rolled Buttercream Recipe?

Decorating By cajundecoration Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 10:01pm by costumeczar

cajundecoration Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 2

I'm trying to figure out a better alternative to fondant. I have made and used the MMF. It is better, but just not great. I'm making a cake for my DH's 34th birthday and it would look much better with a smooth finish, such as the one fondant produces. He HATES icon_mad.gif fondant; won't go near the stuff.

I found this recipe for rolled buttercream icing. Does anyone have any feedback? How does it behave, taste, etc. With gas prices so high, along with grocery prices, I don't want to waste the materials. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

1 reply
costumeczar Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 2

That stuff is kind of gross, but it works okay. It's basically just crisco and powdered sugar, so it tastes more like the super-sweet buttercreams that you get in the grocery store. I made some and made some roses with it, then sat them out in the sun. They were indestructible...They even got rained on and didn't budge much. It kind of tastes like the filling in oreos, if you're looking for a flavor comparison. I'd go ahead and make some and use it if your husband doesn't want fondant. He'll probably like it if he likes the sweeter butterceams.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%