2" Vs 3" Pans?

Decorating By chelley325 Updated 21 Jun 2008 , 2:13am by -K8memphis

chelley325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelley325 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 9

I am fairly new to decorating and see that a good number of some Wilton cakes specify 3" pans. I'm wondering what the primary difference is and if any of you routinely use 3" pans, or if a 2" double layer is the most standard?

8 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 9

A lot of wilton cakes specify a lot of reasons to buy wilton products icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I like the height of 2 layers baked in a 2" pan better than baking one 3" and torting it.

chelley325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelley325 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 9

Haha very good point! icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 9:09pm
post #4 of 9

I gave away my 3" pans. Hated them. They just never baked up right.

YAYI95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YAYI95 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 9

I rather the 2" because I just bake two and layer them and its a good height..I tried the 3" and had to torte it and all the good stuff..So I guess im just lazy and rathr not have to do all that. icon_biggrin.gif ..LOL..

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 9:11pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I like the height of 2 layers baked in a 2" pan better than baking one 3" and torting it.

Do you cut each cake in half so that you have 3 filling layers or just put the two cakes together with one filling layer?

I have been baking two 2" cakes with 2 filling layers and using the 4th cake tier in my BC for the dam. But I've been considering just using 3" cakes and torting them twice - though I hate how long it takes them to bake!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 9:15pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Do you cut each cake in half so that you have 3 filling layers or just put the two cakes together with one filling layer?

I have been baking two 2" cakes with 2 filling layers and using the 4th cake tier in my BC for the dam. But I've been considering just using 3" cakes and torting them twice - though I hate how long it takes them to bake!

I just put them together with one filling layer. I'm only baking for relatives...so they take what they can get icon_lol.gif

NayNay2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NayNay2 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 2:09am
post #8 of 9

I think its much easier working with the 2" pans over the 3" pans I hardly ever use my 3" pans anymore.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 2:13am
post #9 of 9

Yes 4" tall cakes are standard. I like to bake 2" cakes in 3" pans. I like the higher sides.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%