Can A Cake Be Refrozen?

Decorating By vmertsock Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 4:46pm by vmertsock

vmertsock Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 3

I'm making a cake for next Friday but I start my new job Monday so I baked and froze all of my layers. I had planned on freezing it already layered but forgot. Has anyone every re-frozen cakes? It's a very moist chocolate cake and I'm filling it with whipped ganache. Can I thaw them, layer and refreeze until next week? My other option would be to thaw it, layer, carve and crumb coat Wednesday. Either way I'm planning on fondant it Thursday, pop it in the fridge and decorate Friday. Any tips would be very welcome! It's for my sister in law so I really want it to taste amazing. Also if anyone has ever made a checkerboard tablecloth out of fondant I'd love tips! I was thinking of either cutting out squares of green and placing them on a white piece of fondant or paint squares. It's getting placed on top of a wine barrel, not layed flat so I'm not sure which would be best. Thanks!

2 replies
karateka Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 3

I don't think I'd re-freeze. I don't have anything to go by other than instinct. Seems like you'd be playing with fire there.

I haven't done a checkerboard tablecloth. But if I were going to do one that didn't lay flat, I'd be tempted to paint it. Or you could cut out the squares really thin and run a rolling pin over the whole thing to get everything as flat as possible, so you don't have edges poking upon your wrinkles.

vmertsock Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks! I was afraid of that too so I didn't do it. Instead I'm going to take it out of the freezer before work tomorrow, fill, carve and crumb coat then do the fondant Thursday and finish Friday. I've always gotten home by 4 so this not getting home til 7 is really taking a toll on after work cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%