How Much Would You Charge?

Decorating By Shyanne_Mommy Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 12:16am by -K8memphis

Shyanne_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shyanne_Mommy Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 13

Okay I have a client that her daughter has requested the Castle cake that was on the Wilton 2007 Cover and I have had so much going on lately that I am just at a blank at what I should charge her....anyone out that can help me I would be so greatful!!! Thanks!

Autumn

12 replies
abw2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abw2005 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 13

I did this cake for my daughter's first birthday. All in all it took me about 13 hours total. There is no way I would do this cake for less than about $350 or so, there is a lot of detail work in this cake!
LL

brogi2baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brogi2baker Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 13

Im doing this cake on monday for $75 for a friend. that about covers expenses, plus a $1 an hour. icon_smile.gif I gave her a swinging deal, and I know that. It is a ton of work, $350 seems a bit high for my area, but if you could get that....Im moving there! haha.
I would charge your slice rate, then add what you want per hour for all the work involved on top of that.

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 13

I've done 2 of them and I would charge $125 but mine are less detailed then the one on the cover.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 13

The one with the kit? Is that a six and a 10? Yes it is.

$150 give or take a few. If you make a distinction between party size servings and wedding cake servings, Wilton says 40 - 50 servings so $120 to $150 at $3 a serving. I mean I go with wedding cake size servings because these women can still double the servings if they want -- you can read Happy Birthday through the cake on the paper plate below in some cases < insert rolling eyes smilie face>

The kit is $21 plus tax & gas & time to get to the store.

I mean if you go $2.50 a serving and take the lower servings you got umm, $100 plus the kit of $23. May as well go $150 for fondant accents and all considering how busy you are too. You could go $125 and still be pretty much ok but absolutely no lower than that.

I vote for $150- $175. Easy.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 13

Remember to consider how much cake, too. I've seen that cake with two and three tiers, so you would have to charge accordingly. Remember to get yourself reimbursed for the kit, and don't shortchange yourself.

Two tiers, 40 servings, $3 a serving = $120, plus charge of kit, $25 - $145, plus fondant, I would charge a minimum of $175. If you got a third tier, that's more.

Absolute minimum, $175. That's a beautiful cake, the pillars are a pain inna neck from what I hear, it's worth that much easy.

Shyanne_Mommy Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:36pm
post #7 of 13

First of all sorry it took me so long to get back with a thank you for repling reply ...lol I had to cater a wedding rehersal and then went to the wedding...busy weekend and then back to work Monday. The cake I am doing is for a Friend and I was thinking about charging $100.00 plus the kit. I know I can get the kit at Michael's for about $25.00 and use the 1/2 coupon so I was figuring charging her $125.00 total. I think you all for your replys. I only wish I could get $350.00 !! My husband say I should set up shop and charge that much but I don't think my cakes are worth that much.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:59pm
post #8 of 13

$125 isn't awful but you could/should definitely go higher. At least tack on the kit to that and definitely some delivery charge. She will expect lowball prices going forward. You will get to resent doing it. You should consider upping it now while you have the clear opportunity.

Just some cake castle building thoughts.

Shyanne_Mommy Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:06pm
post #9 of 13

You are right, but considering that I am not delivering and also the friends daughter is not even going to eat the cake...she HATES cake... I told her $125.00 and I am going to see the kit I already have that is missing a couple of windows that my daughter lost and she is going to return the kit so, I think I am going to come out ok on this.

Thanks K8...BTW what would you have charge?

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:10pm
post #10 of 13

If it is a 6" and 10" (38 sevings by my chart)
I would charge $4 per serving,plus the cost of the kit and a $25 delivery /set up fee so my total would be $202, but thats for the 6" and 10", the cost would go up for more servings.

Don't undersell yourself, you will regret it in the end, I speak from experience.

Good Luck!

-K8memphis Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:44pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyanne_Mommy

First of all sorry it took me so long to get back with a thank you for repling reply ...lol I had to cater a wedding rehersal and then went to the wedding...busy weekend and then back to work Monday. The cake I am doing is for a Friend and I was thinking about charging $100.00 plus the kit. I know I can get the kit at Michael's for about $25.00 and use the 1/2 coupon so I was figuring charging her $125.00 total. I think you all for your replys. I only wish I could get $350.00 !! My husband say I should set up shop and charge that much but I don't think my cakes are worth that much.

I would do it for 53 x $3 is $159/$160 plus the kit plus $25 for delivery within 10 miles. It's $1 more for each mile outside of the first 10 one way. This would be an easy cake for me to decorate no extra charge for decor. I mean easy in the sense that I don't have to make anything up. Just follow directions. No additional brain power, just read and do.

But I mean I would read the instruction first too. And I'd sure ramp up the price if they had some kind of extra stuff you had to do. Like I'd already have asked about flavors & stuff.

But when I said it to the client, I'd say $210 and that includes your delivery. I wouldn't break it all down unless they sucked all the air out of the room and required oxygen in order to continue. I'd say it real matter of fact like it was a bargain, which it is.

Huge PS--matters not at all that the b-day kid ain't eating it. In fact all the more reason to charge fully what it's worth because the parent is a willing participant in this madness. Hello.

Have you been to the local cake club? You know I'm right over here in Elvistown a few miles from you.

Bottom line here--use my serving count of 53 and YoursTrulyTx's price per serving $4 icon_biggrin.gif Is this fondant covered?

No but seriously $3 is good for around here for basic buttercream don't you think? That is iced in buttercream isn't it? I mean I might be behind the times a bit I don't think so. Well maybe should be $3.50/per. Well anyway $3/per is respectable.

Shyanne_Mommy Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:20pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyanne_Mommy

I would do it for 53 x $3 is $159/$160 plus the kit plus $25 for delivery within 10 miles. It's $1 more for each mile outside of the first 10 one way. This would be an easy cake for me to decorate no extra charge for decor. I mean easy in the sense that I don't have to make anything up. Just follow directions. No additional brain power, just read and do.

But I mean I would read the instruction first too. And I'd sure ramp up the price if they had some kind of extra stuff you had to do. Like I'd already have asked about flavors & stuff.

But when I said it to the client, I'd say $210 and that includes your delivery. I wouldn't break it all down unless they sucked all the air out of the room and required oxygen in order to continue. I'd say it real matter of fact like it was a bargain, which it is.

Huge PS--matters not at all that the b-day kid ain't eating it. In fact all the more reason to charge fully what it's worth because the parent is a willing participant in this madness. Hello.

Have you been to the local cake club? You know I'm right over here in Elvistown a few miles from you.

Bottom line here--use my serving count of 53 and YoursTrulyTx's price per serving $4 icon_biggrin.gif Is this fondant covered?

No but seriously $3 is good for around here for basic buttercream don't you think? That is iced in buttercream isn't it? I mean I might be behind the times a bit I don't think so. Well maybe should be $3.50/per. Well anyway $3/per is respectable.

I totally see what you mean in pricing... and you are right and I should be considering that this is for my best friend I am going to do it for $125.00 and lose the money. Which to me the time and effort to see my friends daughter face light up is worth the money in gold. But I will take your comments and pricing to heart if I ever asked to do this cake again.

I did a simliar cake for my grandmother last year for her 80th birthday and it wasn't too hard except for the fact my daughter ate the flowers as I cut them out but this time I am going to make them while she is gone!!

I am not for sure if I am thinking about the same local cake club or not but there was a meeting last month out in Shelby Forrest about air brush gun...but I was unable to make due to my daughter getting sick at the last mintue...is that the one or is there a different one I don't know about?

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Autumn

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:16am
post #13 of 13

Well I don't think the one Leah heads up meets during the summer. And then the last few meetings were held when there were important planning meetings at church so I couldn't attend for a few months.

Now they just recently had a to-do in Nashville area at a camp ground type place with Toba Garret I think and another well known teacher. Is that the one? But I don't think they were doing air brush stuff.

Hmm so there's another cake club? Cool! If you think of it pm me about the next meeting. There might be a forum for it on here though. Anyhow...cool!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%