How Many Cakes A Open Up Your Own Biz???

Decorating By anku Updated 21 Jun 2008 , 4:01am by anku

anku Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 5

I would love to open up my own business.....but I'm kind of scared to take this huge step! So, I want to ask you all experts and those who have there own cake decorating many cakes a week is good to open your own shop OR when do you think you are ready to go ahead?

I'm currently a full time stay at home mom of 4 and 2 yr old and do around 3-4 cakes a week.

Please advice.

Thanks in advance!

4 replies
JoAnnB Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 5

There are many long threads about opening a new cake business. Just for starters, clearly a ball park figure, estimate the rent and overhead on a store. let's say cheap $1500 (and you already have the equipment. add some for payroll, taxes, insurance, blah blah blah. How many cakes will it take to earn enough, a lot.

Your best bet if you really want to do this, in the future, start working on a business plan. There are websites to help and organizations.

Also, read some of the other answers posted for this same question.

good luck!

Michelle104 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 5

Joann~ do you happen to have the links for those or do I just enter new cake business or opening new cake business?

Thanks anku for asking this question!! icon_smile.gif I would like to research this as well....

indydebi Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 5

You also may want to think in terms of how many cake servings do you need to make.

"3 cakes" can bring in sales of $40 each or $400 each.

If you start browsing the Business section here, you will find an unlimited supply of advice, suggestions, and real life examples .... it will get your thinking gears going!

anku Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 4:01am
post #5 of 5

I do around $300-400 and week depending on the size of the cake. I better start doing the research.....all those big words are really intimidating icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the information!

Quote by @%username% on %date%