Help!! What Should I Tell This Poor Woman?

Business By yummymummy Updated 6 Aug 2013 , 2:26am by bubs1stbirthday

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 73

I accepted an order for 4 cupcake Bouquets for a bridal shower for tomorrow. The customer is coming to pick them up tonight and they aren't working! The cupcakes keep falling off! It's like the cake is too moist or soft. I'm freaking out. She paid $180 for this order and was so excited about it and now I have to tell her That I can't make them . I can give her the cupcakes, but I obviously have to refund her money because it's not what she ordered. I'm so crushed to the point of tears. I don't know what to say to her and keep it profesional w/o breaking down in tears. Does anyone have any advice for me?

72 replies
yummymummy Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 73

Please?

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 73

I wish I had some advice! I'm sorry things aren't going your way!

There's no way you can use a stiffer recipe and try again? How involved is the decorating?

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 73

Can you use a different method of attaching the cupcakes? Maybe some sturdier skewers? I know it doesn't help, but you have my sympathies!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 73

Do you have a picture of what she wanted? I tried makimg a mini cupcake bouquet and used thin skewers and the just slid right thru the cupcakes. Do you have access to get those thick dowels? I think it you used those with some royal icing glue or candy melts as glue, they may work out better.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 73

keep in mind i haven't made these, so might be out in left field here but...

you know how people make candles at candlelight vigils so the wax won't drip on their hands? maybe you could take a piece of foam board, cut it into individual little cirles which are the same size as the bottom of the cupcake, and slide that down over the stick; put hot glue around the hole to hold it in place, and then slide you're cupcake down onto it...that way the cupcake is kind of on a pedestal. you could even airbrush or cover the little foam circles to blend in even more.

then again, maybe i don't know what the heck i'm talking about.

i wish you luck! breathe!!!!

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 73

keep in mind i haven't made these, so might be out in left field here but...

you know how people make candles at candlelight vigils so the wax won't drip on their hands? maybe you could take a piece of foam board, cut it into individual little cirles which are the same size as the bottom of the cupcake, and slide that down over the stick; put hot glue around the hole to hold it in place, and then slide you're cupcake down onto it...that way the cupcake is kind of on a pedestal. you could even airbrush or cover the little foam circles to blend in even more.

then again, maybe i don't know what the heck i'm talking about.

i wish you luck! breathe!!!!

yummymummy Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 73

I've tried cutting down styrofoam cups and putting the cupcakes in that, but it still doesn't work. Maybe I should have used the mini cupcakes for these since it's a smaller version of what I've done. I've tried everything!

I think I'm going to offer her $ back and also offer to deliver the cupcakes tomorrow to the venue and arrange them on a stand along w/ a free 6" cake to compliment them w/ my appologies. What do you think?

Thanks for all the advice.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:07pm
post #9 of 73

. . . yes, breathe . . . what are you currently using to try to attach them . . . how many "skewers" . . . have you tried not bigger skewers, but rather "more" . . . for example, maybe one in the center of the cupcake and five or six in a circle about half or three quarters of the way out from the center . . . (more points of contact) . . . but you wouldn't want big skewers . . . HTH

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:08pm
post #10 of 73

I think if you have until tomorrow for the event you should definitely tell her that you will deliver them free of charge and set up for her tomorrow. That will give you enough time to make this work and keep your money! Good Luck - I haven't made cupcake bouquets so I can't be of any help!

Tammi

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:08pm
post #11 of 73

I'd try reading some of the other posts on cupcake bouquets, seeing if they have some other ideas on how to make them stay better. Maybe the frosting on top of the cupcakes is making them too heavy?

I would maybe double up on the cupcake liners if you do them again in the future, might help to make it more stable when inserting onto the base.

Maybe also try some buttercream frosting where it meets your base and put into the fridge to help set. Don't know what you are attaching them to and if the cupcakes are just falling off, maybe use larger skewers or use a skewer and maybe a toothpick or two. Might help with support.

I hope you have time to try some other options before they come to pick them up.

Dawanka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawanka Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:09pm
post #12 of 73

Maybe I can help you out.

Dawanka Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:10pm
post #13 of 73

Where are you in ct?

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:10pm
post #14 of 73

yummymummy - what if you d the tabletop display instead of the potted display?

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1156032

I have the instructions for this that cinjam was kind enought to send to me I can pm it to you.

I'm so sorry you are having so many problems.

are cc's sitting on the styrofoam ball? this helps support them

debo_04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debo_04 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:10pm
post #15 of 73

Could you offer to deliver them tomorrow and keep working on them tonight??

I'm so sorry, I wish I were near by, I've never made them but I'd run over to help if I could.

I've been in a situation (with a wedding cake) like this and your brain just stops working when you panic so sit down a minute and have a cup of coffee and clear your head. You will figure it out.....

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:11pm
post #16 of 73

Ok I just made a cupcake bouquet and it was a little hard but I managed. I but the cupcake against the ball and stuck it with a long skewer. The kind that you use for grilling. then I cut it with wood cutters little longer than the cupcake. I then put the icing on each upcake. I had a hard time because I couldnt do roses so I just did squiggly lines. They ended up looking like carnations. You can even decorate the cupcakes then put on with skewers and use little icing to cover the stick. Dont give up. Try putting your cupcakes in the freezer to stiffen them up. Try and see what happens. Let us know

Dawanka Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:13pm
post #17 of 73

debo_4 thats exactly what I want to do if she needs help I'm in ct I may be close enough to her.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:24pm
post #18 of 73

Maybe contact Cambo through her website about what to do? http://www.cleverconfections.com/

Found this in an old post:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5912216-.html#5912216

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:34pm
post #19 of 73

Can you use a little melted chocolate to 'glue' the cupcakes to the base?

krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:35pm
post #20 of 73

Hang in there! CCers to the rescue!!! (sounding "charge" bugle)

I don't know anything about bouquets- but the wilton site is all about using their cupcake stands- if you have those around, maybe use those?

If that doesn't work, my answer is always ROYAL ICING- it's hard as a rock and won't budge. If you have a flower pot that has the cupcakes on top like flowers, use the styrofoam half round, cover in green RI, in case any shows through, then attach cupcakes to RI- they ain't goin' nowhere.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:36pm
post #21 of 73
yummymummy Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:46pm
post #22 of 73

Thanks so much everyone! I'm using tooth picks...tried 3, 4, 5...still no help.
I would love those instructions for the table top display.

These were suppose to be centerpieces for the table. I'm using the styrofaom ball to stick the cupcakes on. But perhaps there's a better way where the cupcakes won't be hanging off the edge? More like in a basket or low round bowl or something?

Dawanka: I live in Thompson,CT.

Boy, I really feel the love right now from all of you! I've never felt so panicked before in my life! I'd rather give birth!!!

Dawanka Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:50pm
post #23 of 73

I am only an hour away in Vernon if you need help. I don't mind the drive.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 7:03pm
post #24 of 73

What kind of container are you putting them in? I use the fruit skewers to hold mine in place, sometimes they cant be skewered in the middle, I've done a couple, there are some in my photos here or on my myspace.

http://www.myspace.com/chassidyscupcakes

yummymummy Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 8:37pm
post #25 of 73

Okay, so this is what I've come up w/ thanks to cupcakemkr. It's no where near what she ordered, but hopefully she'll like it enough to accept it. The first pic is what they were originally suppose to be in.
LL
LL

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 8:40pm
post #26 of 73

That is gorgeous! I actually like your second version much better! icon_smile.gif Great save!!

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 8:44pm
post #27 of 73

I hate to say it, But I totally love the 2nd version better also! Another thing I hate to admit, but I'd have a very hard time trying to put cuppy's into the first bouquet as well. I'd be right there crying with you also! But your 2nd gave me some inspiration for a thanksgiving centerpiece as wel!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 8:46pm
post #28 of 73

I like the second one better too! I wouldn't offer $ back right away, just offer delivery and go from there...

yummymummy Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 8:53pm
post #29 of 73

Oh thanks! I was wondering about the refund also. Although, I have a hard time charging $180 for styrofoam cups and a cardboard round. What do you all think?

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 9:00pm
post #30 of 73

I think your problem was too much of the styrofoam ball sticking out of the container. Whe nyou use the balls, the sit down inside of the pot/bucket, and not as much foam is showing. Were they falling off of the top and top part of the sides too, or just closer to the bottom?

I think they look fine the way you did them though! Are you putting them on hte crystal stands too?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%