Flavoring Sugarshack's Buttercream

Decorating By hula1974 Updated 21 Jun 2008 , 2:55am by kbgieger

hula1974 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 4

I'm sorry if this is a double post. I'm having a very hard time with the site lately (it keeps telling me that posts don't exist or there is no info or something).

I would like to flavor Sugarshack's Buttercream recipe with the Wilton Clear Vanilla. How much should I use for one batch?

3 replies
kbgieger Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 1:56am
post #2 of 4

The full batch (5qt KA) and the scaled down 4.5qt KA recipe calls for 4 tablespoons flavoring. So you could use all vanilla if you wanted to.

The last time I made this (the 4.5 qt version) I used 2 tbsp clear vanilla, 1 tbsp almond and 1 tbsp creme bouquet. I just used the regular coffee creamer - no flavor there! icon_biggrin.gif

It's pretty much personal preference. I happen to really like the almond and creme bouquet.

I will say I was extremely impressed with how smooth this icing was, and I am definitely using it going forward.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

pinkbox Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 2:47am
post #3 of 4

Karen... I have tried this icing twice... to no avail. Only grainy icing.

Im curious as to what shorteing and powdered sugar you use? Im not sure where I am going wrong. A

Any advice?

kbgieger Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 2:55am
post #4 of 4

I'm using hi-ratio shortening that I ordered from Kitchen Krafts (it comes in a 3 lb tub) and Walmart brand powdered sugar. I also used the Walmart brand powdered coffee creamer (in extra rich).

I used the recipe scaled down for the 4.5 qt KA. It was hands down the smoothest icing I think I've ever made. I know my DH thought I was crazy because I kept telling him he had to come look at the icing! icon_biggrin.gif

I can't think of anything special I may have done. I used the same brand of hi-ratio shortening and PS in my old BC recipe.

The only issue I had when making this was questioning the amount of salt (2 tsp). At first, I thought I had put WAY too much, but realized later that it was just fine; it really cuts down some of the sweetness.

Wish I had some better ideas for you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%