My 50-Lb Cube Of Alpine Arrived...so Now What???

Business By missmeg Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 7:17pm by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 8

Well, not really icon_wink.gif . I finally had the capital to invest in hi-ratio shortening. Dh thought I was CRACKED when it arrived, and tried to tell me I could have purchsed it at BJ's icon_confused.gif . Well, no honey. I can't. Tried there. It's professional, bakery-quality and is not distributed locally. But thanks for asking.

Of course, we leave for vacation TOMORROW and I can't play with it for at least a week icon_cry.gif . I really wanted to sink my fingers into the stuff.

Anyone know how many ozs a cup of Alpine or Sweetex weighs?

7 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 8

One cup = 7 ounces

I bought 2-gallon plastic Rubbermaid containers to transfer my hi-ratio into. It's such a pain and a mess to deal with that box/bag.

I just pop on a pair of gloves, grab my biggest scoop or scraper and fill up the containers. It's easiest to fill them all up, THEN go back and clean them all off at one time, rather than fill, clean, fill, clean, etc. I also place a piece of plastic wrap over the shortening before putting the lid on for extra protection.

missmeg Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks Diane. It's good to know. Crisco measures out at 9-10 oz per cup, and I rightly assumed that the Alpine would be denser than that.

I really do prefer weighing my shortening rather than measuring it out. One of the many fabulous things I learned here icon_biggrin.gif.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you for asking about the weight! I just purchased some too (only 4 pounds at the local store) and can't wait to try a recipe with it!

missmeg Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 8

Now all I have to do is save the $$ to get a reliable digital scale. Mine is analog and not all that accurate.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 8

I swiped mom's when she wasn't lookin. icon_smile.gif She finally said I could keep it and she would get another. It was her gift to my business. LOL!

missmeg Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 8

I've done that with other things. What I love about my in-home business is I now have people give me cake-supply gifts, and then they give me the receipt so I can expense it at the end of the year icon_biggrin.gif.

I just did an online search, and the one I want is $60. I'll have to wait a bit then. Oh, well.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 8

What perfect timing!! I just saw this post about 10 minutes after the UPS guy left after delivering my order from The Baker's Kitchen which included two 4 lb containers of Alpine shortening. It's good to know what the 1 cup equivalent in weight equals. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%