Tiered Cakes: How Do You Stack/layer/and Add Icing To Yours?

Decorating By Cakesbykaye Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 6:06pm by CakeDiva73

Cakesbykaye Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 5

I have done ALOT of Tiered/Stacked cakes... but I am just wondering how all of you do your cakes...
For Example...if you are doing a 3 Tiered Cake...with Buttercreme only...

If the cakes are 2" high cake pans ...
do you have 2 of those for Each Tier...to make it 4" high?
If so do you only put your icing between the 2 cakes...or do you
also layer each of the 2 cakes and put icing in between each layer?

Also...if you use 3" high cake pans...how do you do those?

(sorry if this sounded confusing lol)...
I was just curious...
Looking forward to your replies...
I thought this thread might be helpful for those just starting out as well...

4 replies
KoryAK Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 5

I torte everything and bake from scratch. I have lots of pans and bake two 2" pans to make one 4" tier. 3" pans work the same way.... your pan size does not have to determine the final cake size.

awolf24 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 5

I bake 2 2" layers for each tier and put filling in between. I do not torte the layers. So for one tier, my cake goes:

Cake
Filling
Cake

Sometimes to get "fancy", I'll torte one tier cakes for more filling but I don't torte stacked cakes....guess I just don't want to deal with the additional potential for sliding/bulging.

Cakesbykaye Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 5

Awolf24.....That is how I usually do it too...

Cake
filling
Cake

I just wanted to see if that is what most of you did too...
I didn't want people to slice into my cake and think there was to much cake and not enough icing... (i personally don't like alot of icing anyways)...

CakeDiva73 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 5

Although torting (to create 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling) is a pain, it is such a pretty & professional look when the cake is cut that I usually just suck it up and do it. I also put my layers in the freezer to set up before the actual frosting so it doesn't flop around on me.

I have some 3 pans and if you fill them so they bake over the top of the pans, you can level in the pan and triple torte so you have 3 layers of cake and 2 layers of filling and you only have to bake one cake layer. The can be a time saver but you need to use a core to be sure the inside isn't raw.

As for stacking, I had a nightmare meltdown a couple weeks back so I order the SPS (single plate system) and it worked like a charm. After ordering Sugarshack's DVDs', her system of using foam core and dowels thru the middle looks really good as well.....

Are you planning on decorating on site or delivering fully stacked? Or is this just some generic questions for how to go about doing it when the time comes? I have found that using just dowels with no center pole isn't sturdy enough for me........too much stress on hy heart when I see the tiers shift, lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%