Question For All You Fondant Experts

Decorating By cowspot_me Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 3:39pm by Sugarflowers

cowspot_me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowspot_me Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 4

I don't often get to use fondant, but I have a bride who wants to use it (YEAH!!). However, her colors are black & white.

The cake she's chosen is white fondant with black scrolls piped on it. My question is whether this is going to bleed into the white. I'm hesitant to take the order because I'm really worried about this.

A little more information on the order - The wedding is the last weekend in July which is the hottest and most humid time of the year here (Maine). The reception is being held in a building with no air conditioning.

Any ideas or suggestions for me? Thanks for the help!

3 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 4

I use royal icing to pipe on fondant. That seems to hold up the best, less bleeding and not any problems with heat.

Not sure what the question is but this is what I would do/use for this situation...hope it helps

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 4

with the humidity I think I would do the piping with black RI. you shouldn't have a problem with bleeding.

In my gallery I did a white BC cake with black BC string work and it didn't bleed, but it's not humid here so I don't know if that makes a diff.

I did do a test a week before the wedding though, I spread some white bc on a dummy and piped the black bc on it and put it in the fridge for a day the took it our for a day, no problems.

I would do a test just to be sure but like i said RI on fondant really should be fine.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 4

Another reason to use Royal Icing instead of buttercream is that the oil from buttercream will stain the fondant, even if you were using white on white. If your royal is stiff enough it shouldn't bleed.

The suggestion to test it first is a good one.

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%