What Kind Of Straws??

Decorating By frstech Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 2:01pm by lutie

frstech Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 13

What kind of straws does everyone use to stack cakes with?? I have only stacked two cakes in the past and never put anything for support, so I guess I got lucky, plus they were eaten right away and didn't stay stacked long. This cake is for a baby shower and I don't need a accident.

TIA, Dawn

12 replies
armywife1 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 13

Hi Dawn,
I use bubble tea straws when I stack. I ordered them from Amazon, but you might be able to find them locally. Hope this helps.

danijus Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 13

I've taken sugarshacks advice and use bubble tea straws. They are wide and sturdy. They are also very easy to cut. I have only found them online though but they're pretty cheap.

becklynn Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 13

I bought some on ebay. Good luck!

Beckalita Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 13

I also use the bubble tea straws and found them in a oriental market store.

frstech Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks all, I will check this out and get some.

butterflywings Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:42pm
post #7 of 13

bubble tea straws, which you should be able to find on amazon, ebay or any asian grocery store. or, if you're in a pinch, and you need them NOW and can't wait for an order - i have been known to take a few extras when i'm at mcdonald's (like grab 4 or 5 extra - not the whole container LOL). they are individually wrapped so i know they aren't germy and they are nice and wide.

smbegg Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:43pm
post #8 of 13

I don't use straws. I know that others have used them with no problems, but I have always used dowels with no problems. Straws scare me.

Stephanie

tomatoqeen Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:44pm
post #9 of 13

Ok, I may be dense, but what is a bubble straw and why is it different? Anyone have a pic? I have heard of Starbucks straws being good to use also!

frstech Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:45pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflywings

bubble tea straws, which you should be able to find on amazon, ebay or any asian grocery store. or, if you're in a pinch, and you need them NOW and can't wait for an order - i have been known to take a few extras when i'm at mcdonald's (like grab 4 or 5 extra - not the whole container LOL). they are individually wrapped so i know they aren't germy and they are nice and wide.

Yeah,I could just see me taking the whole container...LOL , thanks for that tip.

tomatoqeen Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:48pm
post #11 of 13

Ok, I may be dense, but what is a bubble straw and why is it different? Anyone have a pic? I have heard of Starbucks straws being good to use also!

nhbaker Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:56pm
post #12 of 13

I use Wilton 8" cookie sticks and they work great! They're easy to cut and are incredibly strong. Got the idea from Toba Garrett's Professional Cake Decorating book.

If you prefer to use straws (which I have done in the past) I found that the replacement straws for the Rubbermaid flip-top drink bottles (the bottles look almost like a plastic juice box) work great. They're somewhat hard to find though (at least where I'm from).

Good luck.

lutie Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:01pm
post #13 of 13

Bubble straws are approximately .5 inches in diameter and are approximately 8 inches in length and are used to drink bubble tea (sweet tea with tapioca-like pearls in the tea). The ones shown on Amazon are $2.95 plus & 7.95 shipping for 45 straws! That is outrageous on the shipping! they all seem to come to a price of a total of $11.00 for 45 -50 straws. That is expensive to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%