Correct Etiquette With Sheet Cake

Decorating By Taigen Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 2:36pm by leah_s

Taigen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taigen Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 7

I am making my neices wedding cake next month. It will be a 14", 10" and 6" stacked cake. To make sure we have enough servings she would like a smaller (1 or 2 - 9X13?) sheet cake in the back. Approx. 100 guests.
Could someone tell me what the correct etiquette is for the sheet cake, should I do two layers and fill or torte it and fill? Also is it necessary for it to be fondant covered like the actual cake or just the BC?
Any insight is much appreciated.
Thanks
Taigen

6 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 7

I am assuming you want a kitchen cake (to be cut in back)
Ice and border with BC or icing of your choice (or brides choice oops) I'd do it in 2 layers.. that's just the nice thing to do... icon_smile.gif

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 7

If the main cake is goint to have 2 layers per tier (which I assume it would), then I think the sheet cake should also be the same, otherwise, if some people get filling and others don't, they'll know they are getting the "kitchen" cake. If they are all the same, then it isn't an issue. icon_smile.gif

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 7

For the kitchen sheet cake, I usually match the flavors and fillings of the main cakes (minus fondant). Just so everyone gets the same.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 7

To tell ya the truth.. I'd rather have the kitchen cake... I just tend to rather have a sheet cake serving then a tierd cake serving (that's just me)

But I agree.. at a wedding all should get the same type of cake ..

wedding cake is usually 2 layers (unless torted for more layering then I wouldn't worry about that)..

Sooo.. sheet cake 2 layers.. but if the wedding cake has fondant on it I WOULD NOT worry about putting fondant on the kitchen cake.. most wont eat the fondant anyways icon_sad.gif

I also wouldn't go into elaborate (sp) deco. on the kitchen cake .. unless it is going to sit next to the wedding cake itself.

Taigen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taigen Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:57pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you all for the replies I really appreciate it. I also never knew that the "other" cake was referred to as a "kitchen cake" so thanks for letting me know that also haha.
Have a great day icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 7

You know the 6/10/14, serving the top tier already serves 130. For 100 guests, you've already got enough cake even keeping/not serving the top tier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%