Help...i Know This Sounds Crazy, But...

Decorating By diane Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 7:34am by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:31am
post #1 of 4

i am searching for a meringue buttercream recipe that doesn't call for butter, but maybe margarine or something else. i know that sounds crazy, but i have someone who's wants this type of icing, but is allergic to butter. anyone have any ideas what i can do??? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

3 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 7:12am
post #2 of 4

You can use crisco in its place

thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 7:21am
post #3 of 4

I saw a thread on another site about using margarine instead of butter in IMBC or a half butter half margarine mixture. The general consensus was that it worked but gets softer quicker so it may be harder to work with. Maybe you could try a half margarine half shortening one? HTH

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 7:34am
post #4 of 4

Well, I haven't tried margarine in IMBC or SMBC, but I have in regular BC and the one I used was Fleischmann's Unsalted margarine. The children of an acquaintence of mine are/were allergic to milk (the daughter outgrew this allergy as she was tested about two months ago. Yeah!) and many margarines still contain proteins that are derived from milk. Even Rich's Bettercream, though it says it's dairy-free, has an ingredient in it that could be very problematic.

I just wanted to give you a warning on that. Sometimes products that say dairy free are more for those with lactose intolerance or milk sensitivities than for those who are actually allergic.

Good luck with finding that recipe, unfortunately I don't have an answer for that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%