The Retail Side Of Things.....

Business By chellebell70 Updated 22 Jun 2008 , 11:18pm by JulieB

chellebell70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellebell70 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:59am
post #1 of 4

I would like to open a cake shop and not only do cakes but do retail for those who are looking for things to make their own cakes. We have another person in the area who rents her shaped pans, print edible images and has some stuff. But lot's of times when I go in looking for things - she doesn't have them. What kinds of things would you like or expect to see in a shop such as this?

Also looking for a catchy name for this business?

Thanks!

3 replies
CuteCakeName Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CuteCakeName Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:31am
post #2 of 4

There is a little bakery in my area that does this, and I send people there all of the time to find things that we don't carry at Michael's, where I work. They have tons of cake circles, boards, boxes and pans, but they also have a really wide selection of toppers - like the cheesy plastic cupcake toppers, matching favors for kids parties, wedding cake toppers, etc. She carries Satin Ice and Pettince (sp?), Americolor, flavorings, and filling sleeves. They have premade royal icing and gumpaste flowers and premade pearls, and candy molds, pillars - just a ton of stuff, really. I guess I would look at what you use often for your cakes, and try to carry what you can't find in chain retailers' "Wilton" aisle. But don't forget that you'll also have moms that just want to make their kid's birthday cake and are going to ice it and throw something plastic on top.

Good Luck!
Heather

YAYI95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YAYI95 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:31am
post #3 of 4

Offer some classes, if you have the space..ready made roses..when i lived in Va the shop I went to had roses you could buy along with gumpaste flowers already made...!!!Oh a and know what your selling..I was in a local cake supply store and the owner/cake decorator was asking me what I used some of my tools for and asked me if I liked the Hi ratio shortning!!!I was like wow your selling this stuff and never used it!!!LOL

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 4

Books, and magazines. See if you can carry ACD and MBN, they're always looking for new distributors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%