Springform Pans?

Decorating By CakesbyBecca Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 5:36am by CakeDiva73

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 9

Can I use Spring form pans to bake "normal" cakes? I have to make a 6" round and a 10" round for my Wilton Course 3 and I don't have the money to buy the pans, but I do have those sizes in Springform.

Becca

8 replies
patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 9

The only problem is your batter might leak out the seams at the bottom edge of the springform. You can actually make your own pans using foil... check out a copy of The Cake Bible for directions. Or maybe you could borrow pans from someone else in the class.

bevyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bevyd Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 9

I did it once with my 8 sf pan, and the cake came out fine, the only thing I did wrong was I tried to cut it in half, it ended up being lop sided. I am the type of person that can't draw a straight line with a ruler.So go ahead and use them.Good Luck.

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 9

I always use a springform pan for my 4 & 10 inch cakes. No problem. Mine are pretty tight though so the batter does not leak out.

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 9

good to know. I think I'd take some precautionary measures and place the springforms on a sheet pan just in case.

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:15am
post #6 of 9

Thanks. I think I'll give it a try.

Becca

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:23am
post #7 of 9

I've done it before. Fold up some strips of foil and put them around the bottom edge for a tighter fit...you'll be able to feel the difference when you close the pan.

nikki72905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki72905 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:33am
post #8 of 9

I have the Wilton springform pans in three sizes. I got them at Walmart for around 17.00.

These are the only pans I have and the only pans I have used, I have never had a problem where the batter leaks, and it is so nice, when you can release the sides and then peel off the bottom.

I use a cake release of crisco and flower and it always work wonderful ... For chocolate cake I use cocoa powder and crisco.

I love them!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:36am
post #9 of 9

I always line the outside of the springform tightly with foil, usually to prevent water from sneaking into my cheesecakes, lol. I used to use the 6" cheesecake pans before I got the ML ones and they worked nicely because they were so high. I just baked and triple torted to get the height (instead of having to bake both layers) but you need a core since they are too deep for the nail.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%