Butter :salted Or Not

Decorating By korkyo Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 4:06am by HerBoudoir

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, I've never understood this. If you make real buttercream it calls for unsalted butter but you add salt what is the point?

Can I just use salted butter?

5 replies
Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 6

I agree, that doesn't make sense. I use a stick of each, salted and unsalted, in my bc (Buttercream Dream recipe on here).

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 6

yes. if you are making a very sweet buttercream like american buttercream, salted is fine. If you are making swiss or italian meringue buttercream then salted butter is a disaster (tho no other added salt called for either.)

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:13am
post #4 of 6

Thought most bakers/decorators liked unsalted butter because it was supposed to be "fresher" (more turn-over because it doesn't contain salt as a preservative), and that by using unsalted they controlled the amount of salt in their recipes. icon_smile.gif

ShirleyW's IMBC uses salted butter and has many good reviews:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2426-Italian-Meringue-Buttercream--Shirleys-Method.html

HTH

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:31am
post #5 of 6

Okay, so that DOES make sense! Thanks JanH! (P.S. I can't believe you changed your avatar! I loved looking at Denzel! icon_lol.gif)

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 4:06am
post #6 of 6

So you can control how much salt is going into your recipe.

The quantity of salt in salted butter can vary greatly between brands and even within different batches of the same brand of salted butter.

You counter this issue by using unsalted butter and adding the quantity of salt as needed for that particular recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%