Dark Chocolate Buttercream

Decorating By aunt_dodo Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 6:46pm by tiptop57

aunt_dodo Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 7

Just wondering if anyone has ever made Dark Chocolate buttercream by melting Dark Chocolate into reg buttercream. I have done it with milk chocolate, but never the dark chocolate. Just wondering those of you who have tried it liked the way it turned out. I have a cake due tomorrow that is going to be iced in Dark Chocolate buttercream. Thanks!

6 replies
tiptop57 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 7

I personally prefer Hersey's Dutch Processed Special Cocoa to get my dark chocolate frosting. And I have found I can not use full strength as it is too strong for many people I serve so I use 3/4 Special Hersey and 1/4 regular cocoa.

HTH

jessfmaldonado Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 7

I put melted bittersweet chocolate or semi sweet into my SMBC. The bittersweet is really chocolately. I dont know if dark will be too chocolately. But I guess for chocolate lovers too much is never enough. I say try it then, please let me know how it turns out!!!

MissRobin Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 7

Why not just make a ganache with semi sweet chocolate, it is yummy!

Daisys_Cakes Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 7

I also use the Special Dark cocoa and it works just fine for me. You just have to keep adding until it's the color you want.

HTH!

q2wheels Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 7

I usually use Hershey Special Dark baking bars, or, if I can't get those, Special Dark chocolate chips. I melt it then add to my BC.

HTH,

Toni Ann

tiptop57 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:46pm
post #7 of 7

I can't seem to find Hershey Special Dark baking bars and Special Dark chocolate chips in my neck of the woods and there is only one store I know of that sells the Cocoa and I'm in a major metro area..............I thought maybe it might be that way across the US........

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%