Dark Chocolate Buttercream

Decorating By aunt_dodo Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 6:46pm by tiptop57

aunt_dodo Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 7

Just wondering if anyone has ever made Dark Chocolate buttercream by melting Dark Chocolate into reg buttercream. I have done it with milk chocolate, but never the dark chocolate. Just wondering those of you who have tried it liked the way it turned out. I have a cake due tomorrow that is going to be iced in Dark Chocolate buttercream. Thanks!

6 replies
tiptop57 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 7

I personally prefer Hersey's Dutch Processed Special Cocoa to get my dark chocolate frosting. And I have found I can not use full strength as it is too strong for many people I serve so I use 3/4 Special Hersey and 1/4 regular cocoa.

jessfmaldonado Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 7

I put melted bittersweet chocolate or semi sweet into my SMBC. The bittersweet is really chocolately. I dont know if dark will be too chocolately. But I guess for chocolate lovers too much is never enough. I say try it then, please let me know how it turns out!!!

MissRobin Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 7

Why not just make a ganache with semi sweet chocolate, it is yummy!

Daisys_Cakes Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 7

I also use the Special Dark cocoa and it works just fine for me. You just have to keep adding until it's the color you want.

q2wheels Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 7

I usually use Hershey Special Dark baking bars, or, if I can't get those, Special Dark chocolate chips. I melt it then add to my BC.

Toni Ann

tiptop57 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:46pm
post #7 of 7

I can't seem to find Hershey Special Dark baking bars and Special Dark chocolate chips in my neck of the woods and there is only one store I know of that sells the Cocoa and I'm in a major metro area..............I thought maybe it might be that way across the US........

Quote by @%username% on %date%