Filling In A Character Cake

Decorating By snoopy3 Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 4:26am by snoopy3

snoopy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snoopy3 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 5

I had someone ask me if I could do a filling in a character cake. I have never done this and just want to know if anyone else does? If so, what would you charge. She also wants extra cupcakes (probably 10) around the cake. I am so bad at pricing. Vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream and chocolate cupcakes with vanilla buttercream.

Thanks in advance!!

4 replies
springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 5

Do you mean like a character shaped pan? Well you could torte it, but let me tell you they can be a bugger to try and torte. They always (in my experience anyway) have hard spots and to try and cut through those corners without breaking a piece off can be tricky... I have baked two before and cut off the top of one and put them together, but it will take some carving to get them to be even around the sides.

As for pricing...I'd take your experience into account, but I would say a good place to start is $2-3 a serving. However, you really arent allowed to sell character cakes, unless you have bought figurines or an edible image or something.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 5

I usually charge about $35.00 for a character depending on the amount of work...yes you can do a filling. I usually cut down closer to the bottom so when you lift off the top you don't crack the top. Another idea is to put the character on the same size sheet pan, put the filling in that, and then put the character on top of that. For filling(depending on what kind) I will usually charge about $2.00-$2.50 PER PERSON. Cupcakes I charge $15.00-$18.00 a dozen depending on the design and amount of work. I know a lot has to do with your location. I am in PA and have no problem charging this, but I know in the south seems as though the prices are much cheaper. Hope this helps good luck AMY

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:52am
post #4 of 5

I have done the Cars character pan a couple of times making it 2 layers. I bake 2 of the cakes and level one off. It isn't hard to match the shape up and a nice crumb coat will fill in the spaces if any. Since I use the star tip on the car it is easy to even things out if needed. The cake is usually served by cutting thinner slices due to the height so you could at least double the number of servings the character pan says it feeds. Hope this helps.

snoopy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snoopy3 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 4:26am
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%