? For Agbay Users Who Used To Use Lg Wilton Leveler

Decorating By patrincia Updated 5 Jul 2008 , 10:08pm by CoutureCakeCreations

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 10:41am
post #31 of 53

The Agbay is simply the best. I do have the deluxe because I always torte all cakes. One pass thru and the cake is level and torted. Easy. Worth every penny.

Wilton needs to send a written apology to every customer who has ever bought the crap levelers they sell.

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 3:52pm
post #32 of 53

CRAP is right! When I got started I used the little Wilton wire thingy, just dreaming of the day I could move on to larger cakes and get the BIG leveler.

WOO HOO 40% off at Hobby Lobby - here I go, just in time for my mom's Mother's Day cake. Carrot cake is her favorite and I was sure that the BIG blade would slice through it with no problems.

WRONG!!!! It started out fine then started to climb up nearly to the top of the cake. I was HORRIFIED! I just backed it out the best I could, pieced it back together and iced it as it was. I was so disappointed! icon_cry.gif Shame on you, Wilton! thumbsdown.gif

So, where is the cheapest place to buy the Agbay? icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:49pm
post #33 of 53

Well, you can't really use the words "cheap" and "Agbay" in the same sentence. There's only one place to buy the Agbay - from the inventors themselves, the Agbays. www.AgbayProducts.com I think.

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 6:10pm
post #34 of 53

Ah, ok. I found it - thanks icon_smile.gif

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:38am
post #35 of 53

Agbay! Agbay! (I feel like the Aflac duck) Worth every cent and then some.

Leah, I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for Wilton's apology. Nice thought though. icon_lol.gif

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 11:48pm
post #36 of 53

I just got my Agbay Deluxe yesterday! Woohoo! I am so excited. Even my hubby was pretty impressed with it (and he always thinks he can come up with a better idea for something). LOL! Anyway, my only problem with it so far is that I'm having a terrible time getting the cake to stay put on the counter while I saw throug it with the leveler. I read the tips in the instructions saying to try using a non-slip mat underneath the cake. I went to the store and could only find some of the rolls of non-slip drawer and shelf liners. I bought some and cut a large piece to put under the cake. The liner sticks to the counter but the cake still slides around. For anyone who uses the Agbay, what have you found to help keep the cake in place? Is there a specific mat you use? Even with my cake sliding all over the place, it still cut absolutely perfectly through a carrot cake with large pecans in it. icon_smile.gif

lorrieg Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:22am
post #37 of 53

You could try putting a bit of buttercream on your counter under the cake. That might keep it from moving.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:55am
post #38 of 53

I've never had a cake slide around on me before but I usually put my palm lightly on top of the cake and use the other hand to guide the leveler through.

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 4:13am
post #39 of 53

I regularly wanted to sit down and cry after the mess my Wilton slicer made of my cake. I've had my AGBAY for over a year and I STILL feel like dancing around the kitchen with glee every time I use it. I can't seem to get over how FANTASTIC it is! It is only expensive until you buy it... then you think it is a bargain!

leah_s Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:16am
post #40 of 53

I'm with vrdsolo. I just put one hand on top of the cake, grab the Agbay in the middle with the other hand and slice.

MayWest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MayWest Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:50am
post #41 of 53

I think you are better off cutting with a butter knife than cutting with the Wilton. I am saving my pennies for the Agbay cutter!

lorrieg Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:52am
post #42 of 53

leahs, that's what I usually do but I was hesitant to advise anyone else to do that because those blades are SHARP! (could it be that's why they work? icon_lol.gif )

LisaMaeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMaeCakes Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:54am
post #43 of 53

I can't sing the praises enough of the Agbay (I did have that Wilton crap back in the day-I'm with Leahs, they should send an apology!) You will never, never be sorry if you buy the Agbay. I've only been doing cakes a few years but every day I realize that having a professional looking cake is having the right tools.....I struggled w/the Wilton leveler ---- got the Agbay. Struggled with several gumpaste flowers ---got the right cutters & DVD ---whaaalaaa, struggled with.....you get the picture!!

Buy it!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Lisa

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 12:25pm
post #44 of 53

I have a question about the deluxe model with two blades - can you remove one of the blades if you don't want to cut two layers? I will go to the website and read it there but thought someone here might know.

lorrieg Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:13pm
post #45 of 53

wendyintx, you can raise it up and just use the bottom blade. And if you can leave it set up or out it's really handy. I've heard that some people keep it on top of the fridge. That's not an option for me so I keep mine on it's side in a cupboard where I can get it easily.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:13pm
post #46 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyintx

I have a question about the deluxe model with two blades - can you remove one of the blades if you don't want to cut two layers? I will go to the website and read it there but thought someone here might know.

I only have the single blade model, not the deluxe. Both blades are completely adjustable. But I would not attempt to remove the blade, but instead raise the higher blade out of your way (for example, if you level at 2" set it at 3"......

leah_s Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:17pm
post #47 of 53

Yes, you can remove one of the blades (or both I guess) on the Delux model.

Ditto on the shap blade. You will not even realize you have cut yourself until you see blood. It is sharper than any knife you own. For quite a while, like months, I wore a cut resistance glove on the hand holding the cake, just for safety. $17 at the restaurant supply store. Now I'm more aware of being uber careful.

leah_s Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:43pm
post #48 of 53

I think that moving the second blade up higher so that it's out of the cut makes more sense than removing it.

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 5:25pm
post #49 of 53

I think I cut myself everytime I used it for awhile. I have finally used it so much the blade won't cut me... actually it isn't cutting the cake either. I'm off to order a new blade.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 7:42pm
post #50 of 53

I've cut myself twice. If you barely bump it... it will slice you! Both times were stupid mistakes. I didn't have the blade guard on and went to pick up some trash in front of it and bumped it. That's all it took. I'm much more careful now. I love it!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 9:41pm
post #51 of 53

A wonderful thread. I do so want an Agbay.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 9:56pm
post #52 of 53

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my agbay! My old wilton (the little and big) went on ebay the day my Agbay came in the mail. I have had my two years now, never had any problems with it, can torte FROZEN cakes with it.

I advise you to buy the blade cleaner, as yes, you barely touch it and you wil cut yourself BADLY. I cut myself really bad cleaning it one time, wiped it down (red velvet cake doesn't like to be torted!) and the cloth slipped! My DH at first thought I would need stitches, but it did literally take about an hour to stop bleeding! (along my finger). Never let it anywhere near children!

It is WORTH THE MONEY! Every single penny!

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 10:08pm
post #53 of 53

I have had my Agbay for about 6 months and I LOVE IT. The Wilton Leveler (large and small) is a waste of money. Try to save up if you have to. I actually got mine off of ebay for less than $100 so I got a great deal, but RUN DONT WALK AND GET ONE!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%