? For Agbay Users Who Used To Use Lg Wilton Leveler

Decorating By patrincia Updated 5 Jul 2008 , 10:08pm by CoutureCakeCreations

patrincia Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 53

Okay, I'd really like to purchase an Agbay, but I can't quite justify it in my mind because I don't really have any trouble using the large Wilton leveler... so please convince me as to why the Agbay is so much better icon_smile.gif. I look forward to hearing your comments.

52 replies
onceuponacake Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 53

i love the agbay. i tried using the wilton but it was too *floppy* for me..the agbay is very sturdy and very sharp. i love it!

peg818 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 53

The wilton leveler never worked well for me, i would get 1/2 way through a cake and the blade would twist causing a mess. The agbay doesn't do that, there are rulers on both sides of the blade to set the precise height needed. I threw out my wilton leveler i didn't even feel it was worth giving it away.

patrincia Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 53

Thanks guys - anyone else?

Karema Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 4:18am
post #5 of 53

Im sorry to tip the scale but, I love my large wilton cake leveler. It works good for me. I just make sure to do a sawing action and I'm fine. Today I just learned to even a cake out just cover in saran wrap and flip upside down and put weight on it and it will come out lever everytime. I just tried it and it worked. Sooooo if you have the extra money and just want to spend it go ahead it is up to you. If it works well for you now why not try something else from that same company. Just a thought icon_biggrin.gif

bizatchgirl Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 4:30am
post #6 of 53

I HATE my big Wilton leveler. It gets stuck in the cake and the blade bows and then it cuts with a high spot in the center of the cake. If the outer edge of the cake is at all firm it doesn't want to get started. I want to try the Saran Wrap and coke trick. I just read it on the other thread too. For torting, I really want to try the fishing line or dental floss trick since I can't aford an Agbay. Does anyone know how you torte with that? How do you keep it in a straight line? Do you put something to either side of the cake to use as a guide?

miny Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 4:33am
post #7 of 53

I saw the agbay site a few days ago and I just felt in love with the leveler, but when I saw the price I knew it was a platonic love!!! icon_sad.gif , my cakes are not for bussines and I just can't spend that kind of money right now so I guess I'll keep my wilton leveler handy for a long, long time to come, plus it's one of the few things wilton that had worked for me well, I have no problems with it at all. icon_smile.gif

bizatchgirl Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 4:34am
post #8 of 53

I should have also added that I agree with Karema. If YOU are happy with your large Wilton leveler, and you can level and torte without problems, then why spend all the money on the Agbay?

CakeDiva73 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 4:43am
post #9 of 53

Bought the Wilton leveler and it is a mangling piece of trash....I mean it really mangled the heck out of my cakes. Two different recipes, no less.

I long, dream of and worship the Agbay....but I like the double and that puppy is $250 so it just ain't gonna happen! I do still dream about it at night *sigh*

YAYI95 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 4:45am
post #10 of 53

Karema, I haven't heard of that..Do you put the saran wrap once its cooled a bit?? Got a cake to do tomorrow and wanna give it a try...I also agree, if you can handle the wilton leveler than dont mess with a good thing..However everyone I know that has an agbay loves them and claim they will not use anything else...

bizatchgirl Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 4:52am
post #11 of 53

If you read the thread on best secrets, they talk about the saran wrap and flipping the cake and putting weight on the pan. I can't wait to try that this weekend too!

bonnebouche Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 4:53am
post #12 of 53

My hubby bought me the double blade Agbay for Mothers Day and after the first time using it I realized how much I had been fighting with the Wilton large leveler. If you think you are happy with the Wilton, you need to try the Agbay. Ir cuts through any density of cake with such ease and with two blades you level and torte at the same time. It really helps to accomplish all of your torted layers being exactly the same height. The blades are wicked sharp so you do have to be really careful. It does come with two really cool easy to put on and take off barrel blade protectors. Start saving your money now - it is worth every penny to have an Agbay.

bizatchgirl Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 4:55am
post #13 of 53

Thanks bonnebouche just make me cry more that I can't have one right now icon_cry.gif

patrincia Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:02am
post #14 of 53

Thanks so much Bonnebouche... that's the kind of feedback I was hoping to hear. Glad you think it makes that much of a difference!

CakeDiva73 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:27am
post #15 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnebouche

My hubby bought me the double blade Agbay for Mothers Day and after the first time using it I realized how much I had been fighting with the Wilton large leveler. If you think you are happy with the Wilton, you need to try the Agbay. Ir cuts through any density of cake with such ease and with two blades you level and torte at the same time. It really helps to accomplish all of your torted layers being exactly the same height. The blades are wicked sharp so you do have to be really careful. It does come with two really cool easy to put on and take off barrel blade protectors. Start saving your money now - it is worth every penny to have an Agbay.

forget the Agbay, I want your husband! icon_razz.gif

miny Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:32am
post #16 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnebouche

forget the Agbay, I want your husband! icon_razz.gif

Don't we all??!!!! hahahaha icon_lol.gif

bonnebouche Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 11:43pm
post #17 of 53

Yall made me laugh. I told my husband what you posted and he cracked up. Yes, I have a wonderfully supportive husband. He also made me a super deluxe air brush booth for Christmas and bought me a really nice air brush and compressor. But enought about me....... HA. Get the Agbay. You won't be sorry.

Limpy Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 11:54pm
post #18 of 53

I too agree that if you can afford it, the Agbay is one of those must have tools. Good tools help to make good products.They make cake slicing soooo easy. I am in Canada & when I looked at the site & saw the price, I cringed, but then I looked at my "cake account" ( I have a seperate bank account & $10 a week is automatically deposited for my "cake stuff") & saw I had enough, I bought it straight away. Can I say that if there was ever a fire at my house, I would grab my Agbay & my Kitchen Aid.Love it,love it,love it.

patrincia Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 12:00am
post #19 of 53

Excellent - thanks so much for the responses. I have a big b-day coming up... I just might have to treat myself icon_smile.gif.

puzzlegut Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 9:08pm
post #20 of 53

I got my Agbay about a month ago and I love it. One thing I like about the Agbay is that you can adjust it to any height, where as the Wilton you were forced to do it at the heights they gave you. Also the Agbay cuts the cakes very nicely without all of the crumbs from the Wilton. And the Agbay blade doesn't bend as it cuts like the Wilton did. Since getting the Agbay, I've been torting a lot more cakes as it makes it easier to cut them.

webbiedeb Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 12:01am
post #21 of 53

I used Wilton Levelers, both large and small for about 5 years. About 4 months ago I discovered Agbay, here from a post. I ordered it and it is one of the best tool I have ever purchased. I feel that it is well worth the money and it has really increased my confidence in torting cakes. thumbs_up.gif

peacockplace Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 12:13am
post #22 of 53

I've said this before, but I just got my Agbay and I love it! THe precision cut is amazing! I can't wait to throw my wilton in a trash bag, jump up and down on it, and run over it with my car!!! icon_lol.gif

tootie0809 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:57pm
post #23 of 53

I have such a hard time getting my cakes level. In fact, I think that is probably my #1 problem and it drives me nuts. I bought the large Wilton leveler. I can't get that thing to cut a straight line in my cakes to save my life. I was reading all the great reviews on the Agbay and looked at the website. Wow! Is it really that easy to cut through the cake? I noticed there is a regular tool with 1 blade and a deluxe tool with 2 blades. For those of you who own one, which one do you have? Is the double blade worth the extra $100? If I massacre one more cake trying to level it, I'm going to scream. This is an expensive tool, but if it helps me conquer this oh-so-frustrating area, then it is worth the money! Thanks! icon_smile.gif

peg818 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:31am
post #24 of 53

yes its really that easy to cut a cake.

I have the one blade model, i really would have liked to get the two blade, but i don't do this as a business, so i really couldn't justify the extra $100.

My Agbay was my treat to me, i try to get one nice cake toy each year, that i'm unable to attend the ices convention, and so far this is the best treat i have gotten for myself.

vdrsolo Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:05am
post #25 of 53

I never knew how much my Wilton levelers were JUNK until I tried out my new Agbay hot off of the USPS truck!!

Try leveling and torting a cake that contains nuts or chips with the Wilton, no go.....I mutilated a poor carrot cake.

Agbay slices through like a hot knife through butter.

The blade is held under tension the whole time, no bending and rising like the Wilton blade does.

It's worth every penny!

tootie0809 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:40pm
post #26 of 53

Is it possible to have each side a different height on the Agbay? For instance, can you use it to cut the layers for a topsy turvey cake on it? I'm not sure if that would affect the tension if the blade wasn't at the same height all the way through.

peg818 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:30pm
post #27 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

Is it possible to have each side a different height on the Agbay? For instance, can you use it to cut the layers for a topsy turvey cake on it? I'm not sure if that would affect the tension if the blade wasn't at the same height all the way through.

I saw Earlene Moore, cut a cake at a slant by raising one end of the cake and slicing that way.

indigojods Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:13pm
post #28 of 53

I shudder at the thought of ever leveling another cake without my Agbay! It is the best. You can make extremely thin layers and it goes through every cake cleanly and easily. I make a lot of cakes with chocolate chips and it cuts right through them without tearing out chunks of cake like the Wilton one did. It is really a great investment....

SharonK1973 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 9:55pm
post #29 of 53

This past Wednesday was my 2nd wedding anniversary. I came home from the gym early that morning to a totally unexpected anniversay gift from my husband - an Agbay Deluxe Cutter along with a blade cleaner. I literally broke down in tears! I had wanted one for so long, but everytime I got close to having enough money, something came up that I had to use it for. So he decided it would be a nice treat to get me one. It took me two days to stop hugging it and start using it. It works like a dream. Sliced like a hot knife through butter. I was able to torte a 2" sheetcake into three layers! Effortlessly. This is the best anniversary so far! Goodbye wilton-leveler-that-cuts-waves-in-my-cakes! GOODBYE!!!!!

Briarview Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 7:04am
post #30 of 53

I have had my Agbay for just about two years and I do find it very good but do have trouble with getting my cakes totally even sometimes. I find the blade does rise a bit in the middle when you are cutting across the cake. I try and start at one corner and cut through a little and then turn the cake around and do all the corners the same. I have tried it on fruit cakes as well. Does everyone wait until the cake is cold or do they attempt to cut when still warm? I don't always have success and the eagle eyes of hubby reports on how the job has been done. I have to use a level prior to covering the cake as I'm afraid I always see things level when they're not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%