End Of Year Teacher Gift - What Do You Think?

Decorating By missmeg Updated 19 Jun 2008 , 7:51pm by gottabakenow

missmeg Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 3

Our school year is finally ending this Friday . I thought long and hard about what to get the three teachers. I finally decided on a book of poetry titled What Learning Leaves, by Taylor Mali. He's a former teacher that became a poet. Many of his poems revolve around the love of teaching and the many unique situations teachers find themselves in. I love this guy's stuff and recommend it to anyone in the education field.

Of course I also wanted to bake something for them . So I asked the kids to find out their favorite flavor of cake, which I baked as a 6" round. I then made a template of the top and side of the cake, and asked both kids to show me how they want me to decorate their cake. I gave them some cake patterns to use as guides. I plan on giving the teacher the picture of the cake each child drew, along with the book and actual cake.

What do you think of this? My kids are finishing up 1st and kindergarten did excellent jobs "decorating" their template cakes, which I now have to interpret into actual buttercream .

I'll post pictures next week, but I'm really looking forward to doing the decorating tonight!

2 replies
awolf24 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 3

I think that is a great personal and unique idea for your kids' teachers. My mom and sister are both teachers and honestly get sick of the trinkety mugs, apple-realated gifts (although I know they appreciate the sentiments behind them, etc.). Make sure to post your pics! icon_smile.gif

gottabakenow Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 3

that is such a sweet idea! can't wait to see the pics.

Quote by @%username% on %date%