Whats The Write Way To Cancel A Contract?

Business By loriemoms Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 3:32pm by wgoat5

loriemoms Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 12

I have a couple of weddings for next year...(one of them is over a year away) that I will not be able to do due to family issues. The brides will have plenty of time left to find another bakery. 10-13 months.

I was going to send them back their deposit and tell them I am sorry I will have to cancel the contract. I was thinking of also recommending some other bakeries to them (although I don't think they will get as cheap a price, as a lot of people have raised their prices for next year, and these ladies booked me while my prices were lower)

Do you think that will be fine?

11 replies
JoAnnB Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 12

That sounds great, the sooner the better. You don't have to be responsible for them paying more.

step0nmi Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 12

I agree with JoAnn...sounds like a very nice and professional way to do it.

alicegop Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 12

Oh, what a sticky situation. Luckily they do have time to find a new bakery. I would write them a nice LETTER (not email) that says you are very sorry but do to a family situation beyond your control you will no longer be able to do their cake. (include the check of their deposit). Yes, I would recommend some bakeries that you like. People like to have a lead. It would also be nice to include a very descriptive sketch of what they had ordered so they can take that to a new bakery.

Right after you put this in the mail CALL them and tell them personally. Politely apologize and let them know you have already put their refund in the mail.

Don't mention that another bakery might be higher.... just be polite, apologize once at the begining and maybe once more when you hang up (Again, I am very sorry about this.). Keep the call short and simple, nothing they say is going to change your circumstances, so don't get pulled into their sob story if they have one.

"Hello, Bride X. This is Lorie's mom from Bakery Y. I am really sorry to have to do this to you, but I have had a family situation come up that makes it impossible for me to do your wedding on June 5th, 2009. I hate having to do this, I was really looking forward to making your cake. I have already mailed you back a refund of your deposit, some recommendations for other bakeries that I admire as well as a complete description of the cake that you had ordered. I hope this makes it easier to order the cake from another bakery. Again, I am so sorry to have to cancel but I hope your wedding will be beautiful and magical."

If she starts demanding she has a contract and blah blah blah blah... just politely say that you are very sorry this was beyond your control. You wish you were available to do her cake. Then reiterate the letter you sent to help her to make other arrangements.

Try not to feel bad (easier said than done). Things come up!

God Bless and Good Luck!

KHalstead Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 12

I think I might be inclined to send the refund, refer other bakeries, send a sketch, and maybe even a coupon for like 10% off a first anniversary cake or something??

southerncake Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 12

I think that is fine. Life happens -- even with large bakeries. I know the big bakery in town has had to cancel a function or two because it ended up being on the weeks they are closed for vacation. I have a clause in my contract for this very thing. I do agree with the PP that I would send a nice note, a deposit refund, and some type of coupon.

RRGibson Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 12

Well, I think the first question would be does your contract state anything about cancellations on your part? If it doesn't, there may be an issue. I would think it would be okay either way if most of them are a year or so out. But you never know with people so just something to think about.

loriemoms Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:44pm
post #8 of 12
Originally Posted by RRGibson

Well, I think the first question would be does your contract state anything about cancellations on your part? If it doesn't, there may be an issue. I would think it would be okay either way if most of them are a year or so out. But you never know with people so just something to think about.

that was my concern, as I have a clause for THEM canceling, but not for me canceling. Although I do have this clause which COULD cover this.

obligation to deliver will be modified to the extent necessary based on transportation problems, delays in product delivery, inclement weather, acts of God, or other causes beyond our control

If they do balk at it, I guess I could call around and see if another baker would honor the price I am giving the cakes at.

What do bakeries do that have to move to another town or go out of business? I know I had one bride who came to me last minute because her bakery was moving out of town...I just never thought of putting that in my contract! Will have to add it fer sure.

My brides already get a free anniversary cake..pretty much every bakery in town does that these days!

becky27 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 12:18am
post #9 of 12

you know all the advice given already is great!!! and as stated before you are giving more than enough time for them to find another bakery...good luck!!!!! i know everything will be alright!!!!!!!

antonia74 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 12:30am
post #10 of 12

I think Alicegop's letter wording is great. It's to the point, doesn't gush an apology over and over and it gives her some recommendations for bakeries that can be alternatives to you.

I wouldn't go to the extent of researching a baker or bakery's pricing to find one that's comparable to the quote you provided her. It sounds like a nice gesture, but I think it's overstepping your duties to her...and those bakeries might not take so kindy to having a competitor approach them with a sob story about how little you are in fact charging a potential client. (I mean, are you 100% legal and inspected? That could really come back to bite you in the rear if you aren't! They might do a little "research" themselves, you know?)

The amount of notice you have given, a complete reimbursement, written details of her cake and possibly the sketch which you yourself designed are far more than most vendors would do. Leave it at that. icon_smile.gif

loriemoms Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 12:01pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks again for the advice (and yes, I am completely inspected, and have all my licensings posted, etc.) I know a lot of the bakeries here in my town (its a very non -competitive town) but I think I will just stick with writing them a letter, with a refund check, and their canceled contract, with a list of maybe other bakeries they can try who I know are good. I may call some of the other bakeries, especailly the ones just starting out and see if they want first crack at these gals. Who knows, some bakeries may love the chance to get a couple of weddings booked for next year.

Thanks again!

wgoat5 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:32pm
post #12 of 12

They have PLENTY of time to find another baker...

I wouldn't do a 10% off the next order.. they have plenty of time

Quote by @%username% on %date%