Is It Just Me...

Decorating By kaytdid516 Updated 19 Jun 2008 , 7:29pm by wendysue

kaytdid516 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaytdid516 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 8

I recevied a box of Wilton Pure White Rolled Fondant as a gift. Now, I've read post after post of how bad it tastes, but it didn't taste bad at all - a little sweet but not bad that I wouldn't use it again.

I am new at all of this so maybe I have a "virgin" taste for fondant (you all know what I mean) but honestly I was expecting this horrible, taste like paste sort of thing, I was plesently surprised!

Am I alone here?

7 replies
deeb173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeb173 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 8

Wilton isn't the best. Especially if you have made you own marshmallow fondant...it's so much better. But I do like to mix the Wilton with white chocolate fondant and that makes the chocolate more plyable and it still tastes good.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 8

My SIL loves Wilton fondant. Any time I use it for something (cow's leg, bow loops) she picks that off and eats it. Persoanlly I don't think Wilton fondant tastes bad, it's just sweet with out much other taste.

I think people either read that it is horrible and take on that opinion for themselves or they don't like the texture but don't know how to describe that. When I have students come back after we do the fondant cake and say they didn't like it 3/4ths of them are because of the texture (the chewiness) and not the taste of fondant.

I do think there are some that just don't like it, like there are some that don't like MMF. Everyone does have their own tastes, but I think alot of the times people's opinions are jaded but what they have read or heard about fondant in general.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 8

have you smelled it? I think the smell is worse than the taste, it's such a bad smell that I have never actually tasted it

Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 8

About a year ago I bought a box of Wilton's white fondant. I was surprised at the mild, not awful taste. So I bought another box, and ohmy! It was so horrible! Isn't that bizarre? It was like a completely different product--even my kids thought it was inedible. I wonder what's up with that?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:51pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincewind

About a year ago I bought a box of Wilton's white fondant. I was surprised at the mild, not awful taste. So I bought another box, and ohmy! It was so horrible! Isn't that bizarre? It was like a completely different product--even my kids thought it was inedible. I wonder what's up with that?

I've had that happen before with the tubes of cookie icing. I got one that I thought must have been spoiled even though it wasn't expired.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 8

for me.. it's not so much the the taste, as the smell. that smell is just awful and to me lends to a bad or funny taste. and i tried it before i'd ever known there were other kinds of fondant out there.

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 7:29pm
post #8 of 8

I like the ease and convenience of Wilton, but don't like the taste so much. It has a weird flavor, but then again the only other fondant I've tried is the marshmallow. One of these days when my budget allows, I'd like to try one of the premium quality fondants.

~Wendy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%