Bouquet Or Stand Alone Cookies?

Baking By keyshia Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 8:24pm by toleshed

keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 6

My grandma broke her hip. She is in the hospital now, but will be in a reahab facility soon. I wanted to send cookies to her nurses (and some diabetic ones to her). My question is should I arrange them into a bouquet (which I've never shipped before) or should I just make individually wrapped cookies? My plan is to make band-aid cookies and little flowers that say thank you.

Also...if anyone has any diabetic recipes...feel free to share. icon_smile.gif

TIA (as usual)

Keyshia

5 replies
kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 6

Personally I like them wrapped separate for shipping. You can package them easier with less breakage.
Hope your grandma gets better soon.

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsmom

Personally I like them wrapped separate for shipping. You can package them easier with less breakage.
Hope your grandma gets better soon.

I have never shipped cookies but this sounds like the most logical way to do it. Also I would feel like I got my own little gift if I got a cookie in cute wrapping with maybe some curly ribbon or something.

PS I hope your grandma recovers quickly!

~Alicia

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 6

Can you arrange them in some sort of basket, individually wrapped?

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 6

I shipped a bouquet. I individually wrapped each cookie then wrapped the entire bouquet with bubble wrap. The cookies were daisys. One petal had broken off when the lady got it.
Here is a recipe I found somewhere online for diabetic cookies. Take a look and see what you think. I haven't made them yet. HTH

3/4 stick butter
1 pkg sugar-free jello, flavor of choice
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

cream dry jello with butter, add egg and vanilla, then add flour and baking powder. Roll between parchment sheets, chill and cut. Bake on parchment lined sheets for 6 - 7 minutes, until edges are beginning to brown.

The recipe as I originally found it called for 3/4 cup butter, which is way too much. The cookies were so delicate that they couldn't be handled without then turning into a pile of crumbs. That batch (made with strawberry jello) was turned into some really tasty cake balls. Then I tried again with the reduced amount of butter and lime jello and got a pretty nice cookie. Instead of frosting, you might consider decorating with the same dough, thinned just enough to be piped on the raw cookie to highlight details, then bake as usual. I think lemon sugar-free jello would make a nice cookie flavor and would have a better background color for adding piped decorations in other colors. A sugar-free white chocolate dip might be nice, too.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 6

I shipped a bouquet. I individually wrapped each cookie then wrapped the entire bouquet with bubble wrap. The cookies were daisys. One petal had broken off when the lady got it.
Here is a recipe I found somewhere online for diabetic cookies. Take a look and see what you think. I haven't made them yet. HTH

3/4 stick butter
1 pkg sugar-free jello, flavor of choice
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

cream dry jello with butter, add egg and vanilla, then add flour and baking powder. Roll between parchment sheets, chill and cut. Bake on parchment lined sheets for 6 - 7 minutes, until edges are beginning to brown.

The recipe as I originally found it called for 3/4 cup butter, which is way too much. The cookies were so delicate that they couldn't be handled without then turning into a pile of crumbs. That batch (made with strawberry jello) was turned into some really tasty cake balls. Then I tried again with the reduced amount of butter and lime jello and got a pretty nice cookie. Instead of frosting, you might consider decorating with the same dough, thinned just enough to be piped on the raw cookie to highlight details, then bake as usual. I think lemon sugar-free jello would make a nice cookie flavor and would have a better background color for adding piped decorations in other colors. A sugar-free white chocolate dip might be nice, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%