Plywood Boards Or Cake Drums !! Please Help!

Decorating By wirries Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 1:48pm by 2txmedics

wirries Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 16

I have always used cake drums from Michaels, but I am really starting to pick up with doing several cake a week. I am looking into other options. I know others use plywood but I am not sure how to do this. My other option is maybe a website that has can cut down cost of drums. Any help would be great!!! icon_biggrin.gif

15 replies
crisc23 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 16

I use particle underlayment for all of my boards. I buy it in a large sheet at Lowes (around 15.00 per sheet) and I cut the shape of boards I need from it. I normally get at least 15 boards from each sheet. That depends on what size Im using most.

There is a stereo shop here in my town and I talked to the owner, they build speaker boxes from MDF and cut circles out for the speakers. They normally throw them away so I asked them to save them for me and now I stop by there a few times a month and pick up all the round boards. FREE!!

mindywith3boys Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 16

Sometimes Hobby Lobby has a 40% off coupon and the you can get 1/2 inch foam board really cheap! It's not as heavy as plywood and is very sturdy!

Beckalita Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 16

Cris, what a great idea on getting the rounds from a stereo shop!!! I never would have thought of that !!!

Pama2d Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 16

I have a quick question on the 1/2" foam board that everyone uses.... Is this sturdy enough to use under a tiered wedding cake? I've never used this or even checked it out for that matter, but I'd really like to start instead of using my plywood boards that I have to get returned. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Yomomma Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 16

The cake drum I purchased (16") was $6.95 and was no more than extra thick cardboard. I felt unconfident that it would support the weight of my stacked cake so i purchased a 1/2" plywood board for $2.50. There was no fear of it bending under the weight or movement like there was w/ the cardboard drum. Even with the cost of purchasing covering, the board was still less expensive than the drum. Drums are fine for smaller cakes but I'm sticking w/ wood boards for larger/heavy cakes for cost and confidence reasons.

mindywith3boys Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 16

Yes it sturdy enough. And you can also double them up so that your base is an inch.

jammjenks Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:37pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisc23

There is a stereo shop here in my town and I talked to the owner, they build speaker boxes from MDF and cut circles out for the speakers. They normally throw them away so I asked them to save them for me and now I stop by there a few times a month and pick up all the round boards. FREE!!

You, my friend, are a genius!!

LeanneW Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 7:11pm
post #9 of 16

I use wood for squares because they will cut it for me at home depot but I am afraid I am a slave to the premade expensive drum for rounds.

wgoat5 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 7:14pm
post #10 of 16

I use plywood for anything over 2 tiers... gives me extra confidence LOL...

I wrap with a shelf liner several times.. then with the cake paper icon_smile.gif

I use drums for undecorated boards for cakes.. and foam core board for the cakes that I want to use with decorated boards...

diane Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 7:28pm
post #11 of 16

i had several boards cut to certain round and sheet cake sizes. all i do is cover them with contact paper. i charge a deposit so i can get the boards back. it saves me a lot of time and money. icon_wink.gif

hamie Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:22am
post #12 of 16

I use ceramic tiles. I go to home depot or lowes and get the $1 that have been discontinued.
I cover them with contact paper and sometimes fondant. I place felt pads on the corners. It prevents scratching the table and provides just enough room to get my finget under it to move the cake around.

hellie0h Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 11:11am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamie

I use ceramic tiles. I go to home depot or lowes and get the $1 that have been discontinued.
I cover them with contact paper and sometimes fondant. I place felt pads on the corners. It prevents scratching the table and provides just enough room to get my finget under it to move the cake around.

I really like the idea of using the tiles, I have bought tiles and put the pads underneath to use on my oak island.
Also, think how environmentally friendly this would be...the customer would not only have a wonderful cake, but a tile to use as a hot pad or whatever creative use they could find for it.

thecupcakemom Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 12:11pm
post #14 of 16

I go to my local mom and pop lumber yard and they give me their scraps (cut to my specifications) for free. I, in return, always make sure I have cupcakes for the guys when I come in. They bend over backwards to give me what I need.

loriemoms Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 1:41pm
post #15 of 16

I buy my cake drums in bulk online..pay about 1.50 - 3.00 each for them depending on the size. They are already covered and ready to go. If I have a very heavy cake, I will put to together with a hot glue gun. I have never had any problems and it is a lot cheaper then wood (I have never had any luck covering wood either)

2txmedics Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:48pm
post #16 of 16

I use boards, I get at Home Depot off the clearance aisle...and have them cut...then I go find boxes at the stores...and cut to the size of the board...I glue one on top and one on the bottom...then I wrap them in foil paper, and I use those little green dots you get in the hardware, made out of felt.

Tiles is an excellent idea!!! and the speaker throw aways. I dont charge a dep. for friends and family...as I get the boards in clearance for like 4.00 for a large board that makes like 9 pieces depending on the size. But for others I charge a 2.00 board fee.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%