Edible Photo Advice

Decorating By stlcakelady Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 7:08pm by auntginn

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 16

I've never used edible photos before...icing sheet printed from a printer. We have a cake supply store that will print one up for you. Any tips on how to apply to a cake? Any advice is appreciated!

15 replies
crisc23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisc23 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 16

You can just apply it directly on your buttercream icing. Make sure it is still a little tacky and not too crusted over. The image will then "melt" into the buttercream a bit.

I always put my edible images on fondant then lay that on my buttercream. It seems to keep the image looking crisp and clear longer as it doesnt "melt" into the icing. I just roll out my piece of fondant the size I want it and wipe it with a lightly damp paper towel then apply the image. Since the fondant is a tiny bit damp, the image adheres to it. Then I use an xacto knife to trim the fondant around the edges of the image and lay that all on my cake.

buttercream_dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercream_dreams Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 16

i have never done the fondant first application method..however i have/do lay edible images on buttercream without any problems, just make sure that you dont let the image sit out in the air (dry out) and dont peel it off the backing until you are about to apply it, otherwise it will crack. i also make sure it is smooth by running an angled spatula (or clean/greasefree fingers) across the entire image directly after applying it, to rid it of any air bubbles or bumps. hth.

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 4:52am
post #4 of 16

I use edible images all of the time. If the BC is white I lay it directly on the frosting. If it is tinted I always put it on thin fondant first. The edible image will absorb any color that is in the BC. Make sure you place the fondant pieces, if used, on the cake at least the night before to avoid slipping while in route. If you don't have time you can use a few toothpicks here and there to hold the pieces snug while traveling and once at the destination they are easily removed. If you have trouble removing the backing place the image in the freezer for just a few minutes and remove the backing promptly when you take it out. Hope this helps.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:37am
post #5 of 16

I use and sell frosting sheets every week. My advise is to first remove it from the paper backing. then lay it on the backing, place it on a cookie sheet and pop it into the freezer for 1-2 minutes. It will get very stiff and you can apply it straight on your cake or fondant, it will thaw in seconds.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:49am
post #6 of 16

How are the icing sheets different from the edible paper? Is it wafer paper? Does it work the same? I was looking at Fotofun (or something like that) and they sold both...... thanks to OP for this question as I was wondering the same thing. icon_smile.gif

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:18am
post #7 of 16

The icing sheets I've used are thicker than the wafer paper.

Wafer paper is pretty fragile and thin (without starting a debate sorta like those communion wafers you get at church).

I'm not to good at explaining things maybe someone can offer a better explanation..lol I tried! HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

buttercream_dreams Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:31am
post #8 of 16

Its made mostly out of sugar am i wrong? i definetely could be, i never really snacked on the stuff..
another tip if you are using a smaller picture with white BC,another little shortcut is to save a sheet of the backing from a full page (printer sized/legal sized is it?) EI and use it for future EI's by cutting out -if applicable- your EI from the excess (if choosing to frame or what have you) and laying back onto the black page of backing and placing back in the ziplock and using the cut piece on top protecting the area where you plan to place it. Then decorate as you normally would (this works great for airbrushing) and do a switcheroo.
hth

buttercream_dreams Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 12:52pm
post #9 of 16

sorry i meant blank, not black.

AlamoSweets Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:37pm
post #10 of 16

Frosting sheets are absorbed by the BC and becomes part of it. They are easily sliced through. Wafer paper gives you a really crisp image however it tends to get gummy on the cake. The very first time I used it was to make a top of a cake look like a pirates map and when the Mother cut it the whole map came up with the knife. I only recommend it with a fondant backing so it can be easily removed before cutting. Frosting sheets are approx $1 a sheet and wafer paper is inexpensive in comparison.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:06pm
post #11 of 16

Ok, I havent done either one, and Im new to this area but am waiting to try it. What Ive researched so far is this...frosting sheets are alittle thicker, and when you cut into the cake with your image, you wont get a clear cut, and your image will move with your knife or when you take a piece of cake out.

Icing sheets, Im told are better...as they tend to melt completely into the buttercream and become part of the cake, when you cut the cake, slice it...it makes a clean clear cut and wont hurt the image.

Hope this helps, I cant wait to try it. let me know if you do.

auntginn Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:48pm
post #12 of 16

I only use frosting sheets and they do totally the opposite for me. They do absorb into the icing, so when you cut into the cut, it has become part of the icing.

I have checked out the "icing" sheets as well and see no difference. So I am wondering if the only difference is only in the wording. Meaning, what a company chooses to call their product. Anybody???

AlamoSweets Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:23pm
post #13 of 16

I believe that when we are saying icing sheets they are the same as frosting sheets. The wafer or rice paper is different.

sweetsbyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyJ Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:59pm
post #14 of 16

I've used edible images on both BC and Fondant. On white BC I do the same as what the others say they do...

I recently used them on a fondant cake for my grandmothers 80th (pic in gallery) I had them made from an online store and I stored them ziplock bags in the fridge for about 2 weeks..when I used them they were still soft and perfect. I just brushed some water on the fondant and they stuck right on, sometimes the edges peeled out a little but I just dabbed it with water and glued it right on.

sweetsbyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyJ Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 7:00pm
post #15 of 16

I've used edible images on both BC and Fondant. On white BC I do the same as what the others say they do...

I recently used them on a fondant cake for my grandmothers 80th (pic in gallery) I had them made from an online store and I stored them ziplock bags in the fridge for about 2 weeks..when I used them they were still soft and perfect. I just brushed some water on the fondant and they stuck right on, sometimes the edges peeled out a little but I just dabbed it with water and glued it right on.

auntginn Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 7:08pm
post #16 of 16

I've used mine on pastry pride, buttercream, fondant, royal icing and gumpaste. Always use it the same way. They work great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%