tirby Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:05pm
post #1 of

Oh I have been decorating about 6 years and have had my first complaint. SO now what?
Cake was a wedding cake. and a sheet cake
totaled out to be $1.78 per serving (Friend blah blah.... wont do that again) I did not attend...
Free delivery (normally $25 local) and it was local
No Deposit for equipment ...

Complaint.... We didnt cut into the big cake at all because before we even started to cut it the middle tier had a crack in it....So we only cut the sheet cake. When we cut the bride and groom slise we thought it was going to fall apart ...

OK now to be fair.
When I set up the cake I noticed a crack from where I pushed in the pillars. I think because it was a 7" plate on top of an 8" cake there was not enough cake from pillar to the outside of the cake causing stress... make sence?
I did ice over it and was sure it was secure.
OK they wanted it delivered 5 hours before hand so I did that...
NOW on the other hand I was told by one of the attendees that the did in fact only cut the sheet cake. but from what I gathered that was all the cake they needed anyway... So is she wanting me to refund the entire amount for the stacked cake!?
I know she is not a very cheery person so I am not sure if this is just how she is... (seeing negative blowing things out of perportion) or if this is genuine
What would you do I did figure the cost of the cake that split. it comes to about $42.00 with tax.
I am a bit nervous. We live in a small city and I don't want her to be the reason I dont get buisness. I mean bad news spreads faster than good news.
She will be by this afternoon. OH by the way The wedding was Saturday and I recieved the call on Wednesday.... No honeymoon so why the delay in the complaint?
LL

69 replies
lilyanddayne Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:25pm
post #2 of

That cake looks great! I would talk to her and see what she wants, then I would only offer a refund of $42.00 for the tier that cracked. They could have still taken the top off and sliced the rest of the cakes. The last time I ate a piece of cake with a crack in it, it still tasted like a piece of cake without a crack in it.
AFTER WEDDING MONEY ISSUES SOUNDS LIKE THE PROBLEM!
Stay strong!

foxymomma521 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:26pm
post #3 of

I would start by telling her she was already given a discount, (I'm sure your normal price is more than $1.7icon_cool.gif I would then offer the $42 back because that seems to be the only cake that had an issue...

foxymomma521 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:27pm
post #4 of

forgot to add... Beautiful Cake!

LNW Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:36pm
post #5 of

Beautiful cake!

From your post it sort of sounds like she didnât need the brides cake and is trying to get some of her money back since they didnât use it. Honestly thatâs her problem not yours.

Is she a good friend, one you can speak with candidly about the situation? If so Iâd let her know what discount you already gave her on the cake because she is your friend. That may soften her up a bit, if sheâs a good friend and all.

If not Iâd refund the amount for the cracked tier just to keep the peace. They could have disassembled the cake and served it no problem. It doesnât take a genius to figure that out. This makes me think she wants to get some money out of you because they ordered too much cake. Boo whoo for her but if you want to protect your reputation you may need to give her something to shut her up.

I would not refund anything until you speak with her and hear what she's has to say about it though. And if it's money she's after I wouldn't give her a dime over $42.00. Be sure to show her exactly how much money you saved her though before offering a refund.

gottabakenow Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:09pm
post #6 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyanddayne

The last time I ate a piece of cake with a crack in it, it still tasted like a piece of cake without a crack in it.




yeah me too. icon_wink.gif

great cake! one thing I don't get is that she said that they only cut into the sheet cake. does that mean she ordered SO much extra cake? so much extra cake that they didn't need to cut 3 tiers??? icon_confused.gif

kelleym Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:19pm
post #7 of
Quote:
Quote:

Complaint.... We didnt cut into the big cake at all because before we even started to cut it the middle tier had a crack in it....So we only cut the sheet cake. When we cut the bride and groom slise we thought it was going to fall apart ...




FIRST: That doesn't even make sense. "We didn't cut the cake because it had a crack in it." Normally if a cake is cracking, most people want to cut it as QUICKLY as possible to avoid a major collapse or disaster.

SECOND: She got a $1.78/serving price because she's a "friend". These days, that is barely above YOUR cost, especially with free delivery!!

THIRD: When, as a customer, you get the "friend" price, you lose the right to demand a refund (for anything less than failure to deliver or gross negligence).

FOURTH: A "friend"????? Bwwaaaaahahaha. Friends don't call up and demand a refund over a "crack". They also don't go around town badmouthing their friends who made them a wedding cake for $1.78/serving.

FIFTH: I agree with everyone else - they only cut the sheet cake because they ordered TOO MUCH CAKE, and when they didn't need the rest, she started looking for reasons to get some money back.

No refund.

Quote:
Quote:

Dear "Friend":

I am so sorry to hear you were not able to use the middle tier of cake. A small crack did develop when I assembled the cake, but it was repaired on site to my satisfaction (see photo). As you know, due to our friendship, I was pleased to provide this cake for you at far below market value - so far below that my own costs were barely covered. I cannot extend a refund on a cake that was priced so low, but I would be happy to offer 10% off your next cake order with me.




Girl, your cake is beautiful. Don't let this #@#!**! push you around.

Wow, my pregnancy hormones are really flowing this morning. icon_evil.gif

tirby Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:35pm
post #8 of

NEW DEVELOPMENT:

Ok as I said small town.
This morning I spoke with 2 other people who would 100% tell me the truth.
They were at the reception one said"The cake looked fine to me but I did not go up that close and we left early because it was so loud you couldnt even visit. But ________ stayed after we left ask her...."
So I called ____________
She said" No the cake seemed fine to me,they seemed to have no problem. Actually I have pictures of the cake cutting. I can bring them by about 11:00 if you like they are still on the camera so you can zoom in real close to look!" SWEET!!!!!~!!!!!
BY THE WAY thanks for the support. and I will quote the dear friendicon_smile.gif

just a side note.. Wooden cake boards were used on the lower tiers and stress free cake support rings under the 8"
also I did have her sign the line on the contract at time of delivery that says
"Signiture of person accepting cake delivered as agreed in terms______"

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:43pm
post #9 of

If the cake was cracked so badly I hardly think it would have stood straight up without leaning! Your cake looks really good! I've never heard of someone not cutting a cake because it "cracked"....I agree with KelleyM...you'd think they'd cut it quickly so it wouldn't fall over. icon_confused.gif People are weird. Honestly, I wouldn't jump into any kind of refund...and you really don't want to know what I would say to a "friend" who gave me the story you are being given icon_mad.giftapedshut.gif

aswartzw Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:54pm

I agree with the others. Sounds like she's trying to get $$ from ordering too much cake. I would not refund because the cake didn't collapse and it's not like they didn't eat because they couldn't. They chose not too. I'm sure they took the cake home to eat it.

foxymomma521 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:58pm

Please let us know how it goes!

tirby Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:06pm

close up of tier in question

SEE THE CRACK!! one in back just a tad more noticeable was the repaired spot
LL

Alice1230 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:10pm

call me crazy but i dont see a crack

ccr03 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:17pm

okay, is she SERIOUSLY complaining about that crack!?

I can hardly see it!!!

melodyscakes Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:17pm

crazy bride.
she really ordered way too much cake.
I would nicely tell her about the discount price she recieved and would not refund for that part of the cake....it seems to be fine.

why do brides try to find a way to get money back after the wedding, when THEY ordered way too much cake?

crazy.

Erdica Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:19pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice1230

call me crazy but i dont see a crack




Yeah. I don't really see anything either. And we have "trained" eyes to look for stuff like that. I think she just wants some money back.

I really don't see anything. icon_confused.gif

Alice1230 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:27pm

seriously I have been staring at this cake and see nothing. I have been straring so long I am going blind. WGAT CRACK!? Is she kidding.

Also...I have never heard of somebody overestimating that much cake...she overestimated a WHOLE CAKE!

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:30pm

icon_eek.gif That is what she is complaining about? icon_eek.gif

The conversation (if it were with me) would go like this:

"Friend"/customer : "There was a crack in my cake and we couldn't eat it"

Me: kicking shoe up her crack then saying "you owe me $70 for ruining my shoe"

tapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.gif

aliciaL_77 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:33pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetConfectionsChef

icon_eek.gif That is what she is complaining about? icon_eek.gif

The conversation (if it were with me) would go like this:

"Friend"/customer : "There was a crack in my cake and we couldn't eat it"

Me: kicking shoe up her crack then saying "you owe me $70 for ruining my shoe"

tapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.gif




remind me to not make you mad icon_smile.gif lol

tirby: the cake is beautiful

aliciaL_77 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:34pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetConfectionsChef

icon_eek.gif That is what she is complaining about? icon_eek.gif

The conversation (if it were with me) would go like this:

"Friend"/customer : "There was a crack in my cake and we couldn't eat it"

Me: kicking shoe up her crack then saying "you owe me $70 for ruining my shoe"

tapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.gif




remind me to not make you mad icon_smile.gif lol

tirby: the cake is beautiful

msmeg Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:40pm

no sorry no refund. The cake is lovely

She ordered a huge cake for display and now regrets it... she should have served it first.

michellenj Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:46pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

Quote:
Quote:

Complaint.... We didnt cut into the big cake at all because before we even started to cut it the middle tier had a crack in it....So we only cut the sheet cake. When we cut the bride and groom slise we thought it was going to fall apart ...



FIRST: That doesn't even make sense. "We didn't cut the cake because it had a crack in it." Normally if a cake is cracking, most people want to cut it as QUICKLY as possible to avoid a major collapse or disaster.

SECOND: She got a $1.78/serving price because she's a "friend". These days, that is barely above YOUR cost, especially with free delivery!!

THIRD: When, as a customer, you get the "friend" price, you lose the right to demand a refund (for anything less than failure to deliver or gross negligence).

FOURTH: A "friend"????? Bwwaaaaahahaha. Friends don't call up and demand a refund over a "crack". They also don't go around town badmouthing their friends who made them a wedding cake for $1.78/serving.

FIFTH: I agree with everyone else - they only cut the sheet cake because they ordered TOO MUCH CAKE, and when they didn't need the rest, she started looking for reasons to get some money back.

No refund.

Quote:
Quote:

Dear "Friend":

I am so sorry to hear you were not able to use the middle tier of cake. A small crack did develop when I assembled the cake, but it was repaired on site to my satisfaction (see photo). As you know, due to our friendship, I was pleased to provide this cake for you at far below market value - so far below that my own costs were barely covered. I cannot extend a refund on a cake that was priced so low, but I would be happy to offer 10% off your next cake order with me.



Girl, your cake is beautiful. Don't let this #@#!**! push you around.

Wow, my pregnancy hormones are really flowing this morning. icon_evil.gif




Kelley summed it up perfectly. Especially the part about getting the "friend" price and losing the right to a refund.

It sounds like they were expecting to receive more $$ and wedding gifts than they actually did. Now they are scrambling.

Your cake is beautiful, and 6 years without a complaint is fantastic!

tirby Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:47pm

Thanks Guys you if nothing else make me laugh till my stomach hurts! I will keep you posted!!

2sdae Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:48pm

show her the pics and let her know you will not refund an already way too discounted price on a cake she obviously didn't need. That being said, she can't argue with that.
How can you? You saw a crack, ok. Did it fall, no, did it look bad, no. Did they eat cake and did every guest who wanted one have one, yes.
Ok enough said, thank you and dont let that door slam behind you please! icon_biggrin.gif

Alice1230 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:54pm

yes please let us know what happens when you meet with her. I'd love to know what she says when you show her the picture.

I still don't see it and some of you say you see something small. where is it?

tirby Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:58pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice1230

yes please let us know what happens when you meet with her. I'd love to know what she says when you show her the picture.

I still don't see it and some of you say you see something small. where is it?




Very front of the cake near the bottom

JulieB Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:03pm

You don't owe her a dime.

1. The crack is not visible. If the cake had a crack that was noticeable enough for a customer to see, it wasn't caused by you. She's making things up.

2. The cost of the "cracked" tier was "eaten" by the discount. You say the cost of that tier was about 42.00, and the price was less than 2.00 per serving. There are at least 42 servings there, heck, there are at least 42 servings in the sheet cake. 3.00 a serving is cheap. Do you see where I'm going here.

3. Years ago, at my wedding, I ordered way too much cake. On purpose. I had dreamed of that fairy-tale cake, and wanted it for my wedding. I ordered a cake to feed 200, thinking there would be 100 and they could have big pieces, or two pieces, or whatever. I had my grand cake, and paid for it. Never asked for a refund. I got what I wanted. I'll bet she wanted that big beautiful cake, too, whether she needed it or not, and is now regretting it.

JulieB Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:13pm

Also, I would say, Do Not!!! say you saw a crack an fixed it. The crack was in the icing, not in the cake, right? If you say "I saw a crack myself", it gives her the opportunity to say "you said you saw a crack yourself". Icing cracks all the time. Check at stores that display cakes. Most of them have cracks in the icing. Heck that happens when you pick up most sheet cakes.

arosstx Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:24pm

I think your cake looks really nice, and even on the closeup picture saw nothing that would give that "friend" bride any reason to complain.

The only thing I did see in the picture that was taken from a distance was that maybe you could ice the sides a tad thicker. It looked like you could kind of see the filling through the icing - something I've had a problem with in the past, so maybe I'm sensitive to it?? Anyway, just trying to help, please know that I thought your cake was lovely....and a bargain!!

grama_j Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:34pm

Sounds to me like there were a BUNCH of NO SHOWS at the reception, and she wants YOU to compensate for that...... NOT YOUR PROBLEM..... That cake was BEAUTIFUL !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%