Makins Clay Extruder, And Other Clay Stuff...

Decorating By emrldsky Updated 19 Jun 2008 , 9:34pm by MichelleM77

emrldsky Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 7

I've read on here about the Makins clay extruder, but was wondering if the clay machine was good to have as well? It's cheaper than the KA pasta attachment, or a stand-alone pasta machine.

I'm not planning on purchasing these items for myself, but I'm working on a large wish list for birthdays and other holidays for my in-laws (they swear they never know what to get me for occasions and insist on a list). *shrug*

So I thought to myself, what would I like that isn't really expensive, but I don't HAVE to have right this minute? icon_smile.gif

What are YOUR thoughts on the Makins extruder and other products? (Doesn't have to be Makins, btw, could be any brand.)

6 replies
snowshoe1 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:14pm
post #2 of 7

I really like the Makin's Clay Extruder - the green one with lots of discs.

I'm not familiar with the clay machine you refer to. Do you have a link for it?

Sounds like a fun list to make up!

FYI - I got my KA pasta attachment from EBay and it was much cheaper.

emrldsky Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe1

I really like the Makin's Clay Extruder - the green one with lots of discs.

I'm not familiar with the clay machine you refer to. Do you have a link for it?

Sounds like a fun list to make up!

FYI - I got my KA pasta attachment from EBay and it was much cheaper.

Here's a link to the Makins brand machine on on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IM7FK8/?tag=cakecentral-20

snowshoe1 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 7

Looks like a good product (maybe someone else here has used it - so here's a bump). Before I got the KA attachment I had a manual pasta machine (similar to this). I was not successful in using it for fondant. The issue I had with the manual is the crank needed to be turned constantly else I got a 'bump' where I stopped turning. With the KA I can feed fondant through and use my hands to control the output. Most of the time I just use a rolling pin because its too much trouble to get the attachment out - but I guess if I were making ALOT of ruffles/bows, etc... the machine would be invaluable.

Let us know what you decide to go with and best wishes!

emrldsky Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the bump, and the advice about hand-crank pasta machines. icon_biggrin.gif

KimAZ Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 7

I have the little green clay extruder and use it often. I also have several sets of the metal cutters and quite a few of the impression molds and strips and they work just great.

I've also used the Sculpey clay molds which also work great.
KimAZ

MichelleM77 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 9:34pm
post #7 of 7

I have the green Makins clay extruder and love it.

I don't think the pasta machine would be of value unless you are using white fondant and coloring it afterwards with a paint technique, because I have the KA pasta attachment and can't get all the tiny bits out of it in order to not contaminate the next color going through! I even sat there with a toothpick and Q-tip and even when I thought I had it all, colored bits on my fondant!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%