Call The Customer Back Or Let It Go? (Oops, Long, Sorry)

Business By JenWhitlock Updated 21 Jun 2008 , 6:53pm by JulieB

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:30pm
post #1 of 10

yesterday (Wednesday) I get a call from a lady wanting cookies for Saturday. She starts going on and on about getting my card from another client and loves my website, my cookies, my cakes, etc, etc.

then she starts on what she wants, how many, what size (I tell what ever size she wants) and what she wants on them... baseballs with the team name. colors and all that.

I asked her to please email me with a photo or information about the team logo and I would like to have all the order information in writing so that I didn't get it wrong (joked about bad spelling). she's ready to hang up and I say that my cookies are $1/inch, so the 3" cookies that she wants would be $3/each. she says ok.

well, it's the next day and I haven't heard from her. if I'm going to get them done for Sat, I need to start. but I don't want to start if she's decided that they are too $$$

I was at the park with my son and didn't have any paper so I didn't write anything down. I don't remember her name, but I have the phone number in my cell phone. should I call her back today?

btw, the only place around here that I know of that does decorated cookies, is 'Cookies by Design' and I'm priced cheaper than them....
oh, and I include packaging in my price, so even though it might sound like a lot to cake muggles (love that term LOL!), I think that it's pretty reasonable.

9 replies
Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:50pm
post #2 of 10

I would just call to "follow up". Honestly, there are times that emails don't go through. And maybe she got distracted and forgot about it or thinks she sent it. I would just laugh it off like "I was just calling to follow up. I didn't receive the email. Technology...can't live with it....can't live without it".

GL!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:23pm
post #3 of 10

I would definitely call back as a 'follow-up'.

Since you don't remember her name, when you call just say "Hi, this is so and so w/ such and such company and I just wanted to follow-up with the cookie order." Then her that you hadn't heard from her and wanted to touch base with her since you didn't get an email and you'll need to go shopping for materials.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 10

i agree to definately follow up-you wouldn't want her walking in on sat to pick up cookies she assumed you agreed to do-it's happened..read something like that here before. plus if she got busy and didn't have the change to email, or it didn't go through-you could just say you wanted to confirm the order as you need to start baking, shopping asap and wanted to check that the email went through as you hadn't received it yet blablabla you know. make sure you have paper with you though-which reminds me i need to check with a client if she wants her cookies packaged or not-thanks (not til mid july though) and this is the first time i heard the term cake-muggle that's hilarious!! (love harry potter-just started rereading the last one)

Theresa50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Theresa50 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 10

I agree with everyone else a call back would be good.. and I visited your website .. very nice..everything looks so great... as well as the other ccer's on here that posted everything is so nice.. i know this is off the subject but where do you all get your websites and are they free or what? sorry for changing the subject was just wondering all the websites are so nice as well as all of your decortations.. thank you ..

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:55pm
post #6 of 10

I agree - just call her back as a follow up to confirm if she wants you to proceed.

BTW - just took a look at your website. I LOVE the style of your work - great stuff!! Now I'll go poke around your CC photos.... icon_smile.gif

JenWhitlock Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:57pm
post #7 of 10

thanks all!
I thought that I should call her, but I didn't want to be pushy...
especially if she was concerned about the price.

Theresa, there are several threads on websites here, people do all sorts of different stuff. I started mine on freewebs (free hosting), and now have a friend that hosts it for free (but I'm making his son's cake next weekend icon_lol.gif )
I do my website myself, glad you like it!

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:31pm
post #8 of 10

So many people don't do follow-up calls out of fear of being "pushy". One follow-up call is not pushy. You need to kow. Call her.

JenWhitlock Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:15am
post #9 of 10

ok, So I'm a big dumb idiot.
can I blame it on my son? well maybe post-post-post-pregnancy brain??? icon_confused.gif
I called and left a message for the lady. she called me back this evening.
she wants the cookies! FOR NEXT WEEKEND!
I guess with the urgency that I heard in her voice and the 'Saturday' I somehow heard 'this saturday'
whew. next sat is no problem.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 6:53pm
post #10 of 10

And you're glad you called her back, aren't you?

A good sale, and no worries, too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%